Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Slightly annoyed with mum boss

(16 Posts)
LadyHarrietdeSpook Sun 17-Feb-13 22:15:52

I don't think you 'owe' her a day either because of the snow. But what makes you think she is assuming that? Has she said something to that effect?

I would text about the extra pay/day in lieu.

ZuleikaD Sun 17-Feb-13 20:19:17

I agree with (if you want to do it at all) saying "How would you like to pay me for the extra day?" You don't owe her a day - she told you not to come in on the snow day.

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 17-Feb-13 18:40:34

as others have said, its the way your mb assumed you are free and will come to work - on a day/week that you wouldnt normally - demanded and not asked

regardless of owing or not owing a snow day

up to you how you play it - have you been there long? have you ever worked in the holidays before?

what does she normally do in holidays, or does she not work them?

FlouncingMintyy Sun 17-Feb-13 15:53:20

I think the real issue is that she hasn't asked if its convenient for you, previous snow day or not.

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 17-Feb-13 15:48:20

It wasn't the op's snow day though. She was willing and available to work. Her mum boss told her not to come in. At such short notice she should still be paid. Different if mum boss had actually said to her - I'm home today cause of the snow. Do you mind taking a day in lieu.

ReetPetit Sun 17-Feb-13 15:30:39

how rude! if she told you not to come in dur to snow then you don't owe her a day!
just tell her you are busy

Zavi Sun 17-Feb-13 15:19:30

If you got paid for your "snow day" then I think you owe her a day.

fairylightsinthesnow Sun 17-Feb-13 15:06:19

I think you need to factor in how you feel about this job and if you want to keep in long term. If so, there seems little point in creating an issue out of this, so I think it is worth making it clear that you may have other plans, as you were not expecting to work, but do it if you can. If you don't do it and its the first time that she's asked you, it does seem a little unhelpful, though if you actually CAN"T do it, well then fine, and its a good lesson for her - maybe you have nanny friend who could cover? What I'm trying to say is, be helpful as far as you can but ensure your own interests are represented.

Karoleann Sun 17-Feb-13 15:05:22

I'd be quite careful about not saying anything, you don't want her to think she can do that every holiday.

I agree that if she asked you not to come in on the snow day and you could have got in you would still get paid.

How about sending a text back saying "XXXday is fine, but I probably can't get to you til (half an hour after usual start time), otherwise I can do xxxday or xxxday. Happy to take the day as either paid or a day in lieu.

That way you seem willing, but not too available.

nannynick Sun 17-Feb-13 10:52:14

I could have got into work mum boss text saying we're both off so don't bother

I view that as your boss telling you that you have the day off, in addition to your annual leave entitlement.

You are not contracted to work during school holidays, so you can refuse to go in to work.

However, are you able to do the day she wants? Could you say that you can do it but that it would be an extra day... so either paid on next payroll run, or in exchange for an additional annual leave day.

If you work term time only, when do you take annual leave? Are you able to take leave during term time, or do they contract you for say 42 weeks a year (or whatever it would be) and thus you take your paid annual leave during school holidays.

Your boss needs your help. She may not have the best way of asking for it but she is still needing your help. So are you going to help, or not? Once you have made that decision, it is then a matter or how it equates to pay/time-off.

Mrscupcake23 Sun 17-Feb-13 10:21:54

Very rude do not get back to her straight away or just say you have plans.

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 17-Feb-13 10:20:37

I run a children's activity and we had to close for a snow day. As we couldn't charge parents we had a clear arrangement at the time that we would re arrange the cancelled session do no o w was paid for that day. But it was all arranged upfront. In my eyes you don't owe a day.

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 17-Feb-13 10:18:28

If you can go the extra day you could always text back that you just need check availability/ speak to your partner/mum/friend to try Xnd rearrange plans first rather than saying yes straight away.

DillyDallyDayDream Sun 17-Feb-13 10:18:06

I could have got into work mum boss text saying we're both off so don't bother

Think I'm more annoyed about the fact she demanded not asked!

Picturesinthefirelight Sun 17-Feb-13 10:16:21

We're you able to get in onthe snow day or did they tell you notto come in.

Either way at this short notice you are perfectly entities to say sorry I'm not free.

If it is the latter (or was not made clear at the time the day off would be in lieu) then I'd expect to get paid for the extra day.

DillyDallyDayDream Sun 17-Feb-13 09:56:46

I'm contracted as a nanny for term time only - get a text this morning from mum boss telling me she needs to work on a day this half term so needs me to have the kids

Didn't ask, just stated the day etc. she thinks I owe them a day as I had one off due to snow ( both parents were at home)

What should I say to her?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now