This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Advice on starting out...

(9 Posts)
Ummateam Mon 18-Feb-13 19:43:10

Hi,
I am intending to go back to work and will need someone to look after my 4 children age range 12-6 years at home.
A nanny will be needed for 6 hours a week. It is proving to be difficult. If I get a friend's friend's to do the 6 hours can I just pay directly to her. I am worried about all the red tape and taxes, I have no idea of business.
Please help?

Runoutofideas Sat 16-Feb-13 18:49:10

Hi,
You will have to do the training course. I did my CYPOP5 online through NCMA but you need to ensure that this is supported by your local authority. You will also need to do a paediatric fist aid course.

I started childminding last year when my youngest started full time school. One thing I would say is not to underestimate your own child's feelings in all this. I mind 3 days per week, term time only and this suits us perfectly. I only do after-school 2 days per week and my dds enjoy this. I think if it was 5 days per week though they'd quickly get fed up with sharing all their stuff and having their house invaded, plus never being able to do things just with me. I use my non childminding days to take my children swimming, gym class drama class etc and just to have friends round of their choosing, and I think they'd feel they were missing out if this couldn't happen. I appreciate though that I am fortunate financially in being able to choose to do this.

My ideal world would be to have just the little ones within the school day and have every day after school free, so the opposite of what you are looking to do. It is a great way of earning some money though. Fun, lively and different every day!

PPT Sat 16-Feb-13 18:27:58

That's the bit that's worrying me... I think am perhaps naively looking at it
too much like a daily play date! That's why I'm keen to put in the research pre-applying!

Flisspaps Sat 16-Feb-13 18:26:37

Bear in mind it's quite paperwork heavy if you have little ones (under 5s), that bit of the job does not make me smile sad

PPT Sat 16-Feb-13 18:20:19

I'll give my LA a ring on Monday too to see what advice they may have.

PPT Sat 16-Feb-13 18:18:10

Nannynick... Thanks for the advice. Will seek out the other cm's and discuss!

The last tutoring I did was a few years back, and think I'm too out of touch now with current gcse and a-level syllabuses.

It's not all about the money in my case as well, a mixture of having a job that will make me smile (after a job where I wasn't overly popular with the general public!), and also for my son to have lovely (or not!) after school company. I know it isn't an 'easy' option- so currently at that exploring stage of working out if its for me!

nannynick Sat 16-Feb-13 18:10:55

Is there much interest from parents of children currently at the school (if you have a fair idea of which school your son would attend)?

Find out who the local childminders are and see if you can have a chat with them at toddler group, get a feel for what demand is in the area and also chat to them about how they find the childminding regulations, things they have to do.

I expect being a tutor again would give you job satisfaction, plus probably a higher income. Is it worth considering?

HSMMaCM Sat 16-Feb-13 17:58:02

Contact your local authority early years department. It can take a long time to get registered, so do it soon.

You might also like to think about whether you would have the mindees in the school holidays.

PPT Sat 16-Feb-13 16:24:36

Hey everyone. I am considering starting out as a childminder and, if it all takes off, would aim to start in September 2014.

In short, I've recently stopped working in quite a stressful PT job (completely my choice to stop working!)- and have a 3 yr old DS, and am now a full time SAHM and absolutely loving it. I have no current plans to have anymore children- so my current thinking is to set up as a childminder solely for drop offs and pick ups when my son does start at school- and hopefully just for children in the same school as my DS will go to. Not really interested in having any younger children at home during the day- so really happy to concentrate on drop offs and pick ups.

I live in the SE, in a town which is commuter heaven for those training it up to London, so think (well know!) that there is ample demand.

I have a good sized house, and my DS has a playroom, which comes off the kitchen/dining area, so lots of space for a couple of children to play. Also have a lovely, enclosed manageable sized garden! I also used to tutor (older) children in the past, and am not too bad in the kitchen, so would be happy to help with homework and provide an after school tea.

I just have no idea as to how to get started, and was hoping that someone could give me some advice. I know I have to be OFSTED registered, as the children (including my son) will be under 8 yrs old. Would I have to formally retrain (i.e. go to college?). Some of my friends/neighbours have expressed an interest when I've mentioned my very 'loose' idea to them- but am keen to do this properly (and legally). Could anyone either point me to a good website/provide me with advice/link me to anything already on MN?

If it's just before/after school care, is the hassle of the OFSTED going to put me off doing it all? For me, this is less about finances, more about having a job with satisfaction!

TIA.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now