Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

What's the total cost of a nanny?

(6 Posts)
Blondeshavemorefun Wed 13-Feb-13 14:44:25

nanny cant be self employed if working for you perm

as you have 2 under 2, i wouldnt advise a share as well, or means if older child, your two get dragged out to nursery/school every day - if younger child then nanny will have 3 under 3 - which may put some nannies off

costs vary if you want a nanny with lots of exp as have young children and long hours or happy to have a newly qual/less exp so cheaper

nannynick Wed 13-Feb-13 14:20:44

I estimate £36-40,000 as total cost, so Gross salary, employers NI, activities, payroll admin etc.

Can do a better calculation tomorrow. Would they need to provide their own car and if so what sort of distance would they be driving whilst on duty?

SamSmalaidh Wed 13-Feb-13 14:05:45

I think you'd need to offer a gross salary of £28k+ (maybe as low as £21k for a very young/inexperienced nanny, could be as much as £38k for a top career nanny). You will have to pay employer's NI on top of the gross wage (not sure how much that is), mileage if she drives, a kitty for activities/snacks while out (£100 a month?) and if you want to use a payroll company then that's about £150 a year.

If you shared a nanny, you would probably need to offer £35k+ and then work out a split with the other family.

Pufflemum Wed 13-Feb-13 13:33:01

About £28-30k per annum, inclusive of expenses

If she's working full time for you she shouldn't be self employed. Have you checked agencies in your area? Might help you get an idea of the local rate?

SoExcitedMumToBe Wed 13-Feb-13 13:15:00

Hello

I would like to have an estimate for the total cost for a live-out nanny, say 8am to 7pm Monday to Friday, to look after a 4 months old baby and a 20 months toddler (will probably arrive around 6:30pm most days). I live in Balham and would like a dynamic nanny who goes to playgoup/park/library every day, who speaks very well English and who cooks the food for the children.
I understand that in addition to the net wage, I will have to pay for taxes and NI, except if she is self-employed. Can anyone give me an estimate about how much I should expect to pay in total? Do you think I can have a shared nanny given that I have 2 children?
Thanks a lot for your help.
Note: this is not an ad for a nanny as I am not looking for now, I just want more info.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now