Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Has anyone successfully taught a nanny to drive?

(4 Posts)
Turniphead1 Wed 13-Feb-13 20:00:24

Thanks all. She is about 26. I think I need to speak to her about it. I also worry about her taking a job with us - and giving up her cleaning jobs/cafe job and then if it didn't work out...

Might be best to go through an agency or try Gumtree.

malovitt Wed 13-Feb-13 08:13:10

How old is she, OP?

Car insurance can be astronomical for a new/young driver in central London.

But it's not about just passing the test - you need experience which comes with time, especially with three children in the car negotiating school run madness!

If you want to go ahead, I do know a fantastic female driving instructor based in Camden. My son passed first time with her and drives really confidently now.

Blondeshavemorefun Tue 12-Feb-13 23:55:58

Going by what happened with my friend - took her 6mths to arrange Thoery test and then pass but she had lots of lessons and intensive course

Driving is practice / I went out with my dad a few times a week and had lessons and think examiner didnt put me in for my test till 9mths later / but I passed first time - been driving now 21yrs so now Thoery for me

Think you can only get 5 wrong and you fail

Bare minimum I would have thought would need a few months before taking test so unlikely to work in your timescale if you need a driver now

Better to employ a new nanny/Hk who can drive

Turniphead1 Tue 12-Feb-13 20:28:54

We live in central London & have 3 kids. Our amazing nanny is moving on as we now need more of a nanny-housekeeper as all kids will be at school.

We need someone who drives. I am considering talking to my cleaner about potentially taking on the role - as she is very bright and loves the children, very reliable etc. One big downside is that she doesn't drive. She says she'd be willing to learn but just wondered how easy it would be to get someone to the level I would be happy to let them drive my kids about? DH not keen at all - but she is young etc.

Just wondered did anyone do this & whether it worked ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now