Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Should I be paying my childminder

(67 Posts)
IneedAsockamnesty Mon 11-Feb-13 21:59:22

When she cancels for things like her kids being sick or having docters/ hospital appointments.

I usually get the cancellation via txt quite late the night before meaning I don't go to work the entire next day.

I only use her 2 days a week as those days I cannot take kids with me and pay over £110 per day ( 8 hours)

These cancelations are over and above her normal holiday pay as she has 5 weeks a year on top of other absences.

So far out of the last 40 days I have paid for she has late cancelled 10 always citing her kids illness or appointments.

I cannot find our contract but apparently its a standered one (what ever that means) from a printed pad of them.

bran Tue 19-Feb-13 23:14:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bran Tue 19-Feb-13 23:13:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

pluCaChange Tue 19-Feb-13 18:59:02

You tell her!

HSMMaCM Tue 19-Feb-13 18:27:59

Good for you Sockreturningpixie. I too would love to be able to help you out and show you how reliable and honest a good CM is.

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 19-Feb-13 18:06:10

Well I've had a reply to my email basically saying she's disappointed that I have given notice,

So I've just sent a rather less reasonable reply back saying that I did because I was disappointed with her lack of reliability her general work ethic the high volume of absence from being available for work,and pointing out the info given by the above poster re hand foot and mouth and pointed out that neither she nor my children actually have it even if exclusion was warrented. I added that I felt she had taken advantage of my lack of knowledge regarding ofsted rules to try and use them as an excuse for not working and also taken advantage of my reasonable nature when it comes to making payments.

I haven't yet obtained other childcare but my brothers just told me his wife is finishing work next week so I'm going to ask her if she would be willing to be employed by me on a temp basis until I can find a suitable nanny.

good for you Sock......she is giving childminders a bad name!

I have had little ones with Hand foot and mouth and if they were really poorly then they go home but more often than not they stay! I had three go down with chicken pox and they all stayed here...the consensus of all the (fab) parents was "well if A had got it then B and C will go down with it!"....and they did.

I am sorry you have had such a shit time.....there are fab childminders out there. Its a pity i dont live near to you - i would show you what a childminder is like. I am full of a cold and sinusitis and would love to have time off but i havent (all have gone home now btw- i am vegging on the sofa).

good luck Sock

KatyMac Tue 19-Feb-13 16:19:37
minderjinx Tue 19-Feb-13 16:12:24

I think that's very reasonable of you. But have you got other childcare sorted out?

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 19-Feb-13 15:36:34

Update.

I had a email yesterday cancelling our meeting saying illness and a further email today saying that one of her mindees has hand foot and mouth so inline with ofstead requirements she is unable to have any mindees for a period of 10 days.

I've had a chance to check the contract and it makes no reference to absence on her behalf other than holiday.

So I have emailed her back given her notice in line with the notice period in the contract also said that I won't be sending the children back during this notice and have posted a cheque to cover the notice period minus the days she is unable to have any mindees.

IneedAsockamnesty Sat 16-Feb-13 17:16:06

We are meeting Monday evening.

Bluemonkeyspots Sat 16-Feb-13 14:11:36

I honestly can't believe how much you are paying her for doing nothing 25% off the time

Charging full rate for a school age child is totally unheard off to me, childminders round here don't even charge when mindees are in nursery for their 15 hours a a week.

She is taking you for a total fool.

minderjinx Sat 16-Feb-13 12:12:41

Hi, how did it go?

BlingBubbles Thu 14-Feb-13 22:15:22

If our cm cancels we don't pay, if we cancel we pay. Simple.

MortifiedAdams Thu 14-Feb-13 22:14:12

Even if she has the 13yo eoght hours thats still only another £40 (working on fiver an hour eveb thoigh its cheaper than that round here). So £80 per day max.

And id expect meals for that.

MortifiedAdams Thu 14-Feb-13 22:12:31

£5ph per dc. 8x5 for the LO = £40pd. 1.5x5 for the 13yo = £7.50pm. Total £47.50 per day. And you are paying three times that!!!

IneedAsockamnesty Thu 14-Feb-13 22:08:07

I wrote an email today basicly highlighting my concerns. Copy and pasting a few very good lines from advice you lovely lot have given me on here and via pm.

Ending it with a request to meet to discuss it ASAP, hopefully I will hear back from her soon.

Sock not sure where you are located but here it would be £3.75 per hour for youngest child and oldest child paying for hours you actually use my fees also include fees. Having a child with Asd I know it can be awkward. I don't take on after schoolers as my own child struggles with older children who dont understand asd but I would have another child with Asd no worries

Groovee Thu 14-Feb-13 08:59:36

I've been with my childminder 7 years and in that time she has had 1 day off at short notice for a sickness bug. 1 week off after gall bladder surgery and 1 week off after her dd had her tonsils out. Didn't pay her for any of it. I think she's been having her cake and eating it.

lechatnoir Wed 13-Feb-13 21:40:08

Please come back & update us grin

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 13-Feb-13 21:38:42

I am in a very affluent area I do still have the list of reg childminders in the area will phone a couple tomorrow and ask what they charge.

lechatnoir Wed 13-Feb-13 21:16:08

Whereabouts are you sock? Might be worth just ringing another local cm to gauge prices in your area in case you're in some freaky expensive little bubble lechat clutching at straws

Chubfuddler Wed 13-Feb-13 21:03:54

My cm is £3 per hour. And as long as the children are not actively miserable she's happy to have them when mildly unwell ie teething, colds etc. this week she sent me a text to say she wanted to give dd some calpol, I texted back oh dear shall I come and get her, her reply "don't be daft I can't just have the fun times, this is my job. If you can't work I don't work".

She's never had a days sick in five years of caring for my children. For £3 an hour.

Chubfuddler Wed 13-Feb-13 21:01:12

Totally agree about a nanny. I'm sure you'd get a nanny or nanny share for £500 a week.

SamSmalaidh Wed 13-Feb-13 20:57:13

I paid £30 for an 8 hour a day for my baby (Bristol rather than London though). Even his pretty expensive nursery is only £40 for an 8 hour day, and that's including 3 meals and 2 snacks. For £110 a day I would want a nanny to come to the house, cook for the children and deal with their laundry and keep their rooms tidy.

Chubfuddler Wed 13-Feb-13 20:52:32

Your CM is majorly taking the piss. If I was off work for 1/4 of the time I should be there I'd get the sack.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now