This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Should I be paying my childminder

(67 Posts)
IneedAsockamnesty Mon 11-Feb-13 21:59:22

When she cancels for things like her kids being sick or having docters/ hospital appointments.

I usually get the cancellation via txt quite late the night before meaning I don't go to work the entire next day.

I only use her 2 days a week as those days I cannot take kids with me and pay over £110 per day ( 8 hours)

These cancelations are over and above her normal holiday pay as she has 5 weeks a year on top of other absences.

So far out of the last 40 days I have paid for she has late cancelled 10 always citing her kids illness or appointments.

I cannot find our contract but apparently its a standered one (what ever that means) from a printed pad of them.

lechatnoir Tue 12-Feb-13 13:25:36

If you'd rather stay with her & get this sorted, you need to have that chat. I would blame your work - tell her your boss has had words about the amount of time off, spell it out ie 10 full days out of 40 worked plus with the other early finishes etc you're getting on for half of your working days being lost or cut short. Ask if there's any on-going health issues you need to be aware that might affect her being able to offer reliable care for your DC & if she has a back-up childminder for these circumstances. I would add that you have to take these days off sick & don't get sick pay so simply can't afford this number of days off going forward but mainly are genuinely worried about losing your job over poor attendance. I would ask outright - no hard feelings but would I better off looking elsewhere so she has a way out.

If she is suitably apologetic / embarrassed (as I'm pretty sure most honest hard working people would be!) then I would give her a last go before looking elsewhere.

BackforGood Tue 12-Feb-13 18:32:49

I agree with FightlikeaGirl - this really isn't like all the CMs I've ever met, who seem to have the constitution of an ox grin
It's just no use to a working parent to have childcare that is regularly unavailable.

IneedAsockamnesty Tue 12-Feb-13 19:00:12

She knows I own the company, but could substitute the worried about losing job to worried about staff being put on and its causing issues.

ChunkyPickle Tue 12-Feb-13 19:13:04

Good lord! She is taking the mick! TBH I feel that CMs should include holiday in their rates too, as it's much clearer all round if you pay for what you use (so to speak)

My CM would never charge me for a day she couldn't work, and the angel she is, even if I have to cancel for some reason she'll just defer the day for some other time rather than charge me for it.

Strix Wed 13-Feb-13 11:11:31

I don't pay my childminder when she is unavailable for work -- no matter what the reason. I do pay her in full when we are unavailable to attend -- no matter what the reason.

5 weeks of holiday is not somethign I would sign up to, but I expect it is in your contract.

You don't really pay £110 for an 8 hour day, do you? If you are, I think I would make the move to a nanny /nannyshare.

lechatnoir Wed 13-Feb-13 12:03:04

Hang on a minute - didn't you say 1 of your DC is 13 so presumably at school from 9? That is extortionate if that is the case!!!

botandhothered Wed 13-Feb-13 12:19:05

Agree with Stix, a part time Nanny would be a much better solution. Would certainly be cheaper!

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 13-Feb-13 12:28:36

He is at school from 9-4 but we did agree that she would get the same flat rate term time and holidays,I'm quite happy with paying that because I expect her to be able to have him if he's not at school for any reason other than illness on his behalf. And it means I don't have to faff about working out hours and she's expected to keep his place during term time.

I hadn't even looked into a nanny. Because years ago when I briefly touched on it as soon as I said ASD the one I spoke to got all weird. But I will look into it again.

minderjinx Wed 13-Feb-13 12:57:05

I wouldn't charge a) if I was not available due to my own illness, my children's or personal reasons or b) to hold a place for a child of secondary school age - the latter because OFSTED are not interested in over 8's, they don't count in our registration numbers and so having an older child occasionally or even every day would not stop me having my normal number of babies or younger children. Charging for a child whilst at school is definitely not the norm.

The only caveat I would mention is that I would charge all day for a school age child if I was permanently on call (for example if health or behaviour issues meant they frequently had to miss school or be collected from school), and what I said above about not affecting the number of younger children I could care for might be untrue if the older child's health or behaviour demanded more attention than usual, so would in effect limit the number of other children I could safely care for

botandhothered Wed 13-Feb-13 17:22:39

If you decide to go down the nanny route, I think it's important to mention your son's additional needs in the initial nanny advert, along with ages, hours and pay.

Far from putting nannies off, it will likely attract a nanny who has an interest or experience with children with ASD.

If you have been happy with a childminder you could also mention you would be happy with a nanny who has her own child?

lechatnoir Wed 13-Feb-13 17:52:02

Sock she may be lovely but charging you full fee for a full age child under 8 is dubious practise but for a secondary age child is bordering on extortion!! I reckon if you took £20 a day off your current bill & offered it to a couple of local CM's they'd bite your arm off.

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 13-Feb-13 19:20:59

Forgive me for being dense but what should I be expecting to pay for the baby?

i would charge you £4 an hour for baby and the same for your biggun....only before and after school of course. (and hols) But i would only charge for what you need eg you need 8-3 then you pay 8-3.

I have had a run of illness (norovirus- i can identify which little one gave it to me) and my husband has has quite a bit of treatment for bowel tumours over the last 6 months so i have had odd days off (i try to give as much notice as i can). I dont charge for my off time whatever the cause. I charge for any holidays they take.

I am very flexible....i dont charge inflated amounts if parents are late and i have been contacted- i know what its like to get stuck in work/in traffic etc. and i would rather parents drove safely and get here than drive like maniacs and have an accident. As long as they dont take the piss then i am cool with it.

minderjinx Wed 13-Feb-13 20:42:02

I don't know where you are but £55 a day per child sounds quite plausible. So that's probably what you should expect to pay for the baby, give or take. For your older child perhaps a slightly higher hourly rate, but only for before and after school hours, and full days in the school holidays or any extra days.

lechatnoir Wed 13-Feb-13 20:45:37

It really does vary area to area but in my fairly affluent part of Kent it's £5-£6/hr, my sister in outer London/Kent borders pays £6hr and a friend in W1 (so prime prime London) charges £7/hr. We all have food, snacks included but again that does vary. For your eldest you might find a minimum charge before & after school but again for comparative purposes: I charge £21/day which is also what my sister pays for wraparound & my friend in w1 charges £10 before & £21.75 after school or £30 for both.

So taking the most expensive that's £58 for baby + £30 wraparound = £88 a day in one of the most expensive parts of London. So now you can see why we're all shockshockshock

lechatnoir Wed 13-Feb-13 20:48:47

And as for (presumably her) excuse for paying the same year round as it's easier - utter tosh!! It's fairly standard practise & really not difficult to still pay a regular amount each month but take into account lower term time fees.

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 13-Feb-13 20:51:55

Christ I even send all the food. I think I can understand,I thought what I was paying was the going rate.

Chubfuddler Wed 13-Feb-13 20:52:32

Your CM is majorly taking the piss. If I was off work for 1/4 of the time I should be there I'd get the sack.

SamSmalaidh Wed 13-Feb-13 20:57:13

I paid £30 for an 8 hour a day for my baby (Bristol rather than London though). Even his pretty expensive nursery is only £40 for an 8 hour day, and that's including 3 meals and 2 snacks. For £110 a day I would want a nanny to come to the house, cook for the children and deal with their laundry and keep their rooms tidy.

Chubfuddler Wed 13-Feb-13 21:01:12

Totally agree about a nanny. I'm sure you'd get a nanny or nanny share for £500 a week.

Chubfuddler Wed 13-Feb-13 21:03:54

My cm is £3 per hour. And as long as the children are not actively miserable she's happy to have them when mildly unwell ie teething, colds etc. this week she sent me a text to say she wanted to give dd some calpol, I texted back oh dear shall I come and get her, her reply "don't be daft I can't just have the fun times, this is my job. If you can't work I don't work".

She's never had a days sick in five years of caring for my children. For £3 an hour.

lechatnoir Wed 13-Feb-13 21:16:08

Whereabouts are you sock? Might be worth just ringing another local cm to gauge prices in your area in case you're in some freaky expensive little bubble lechat clutching at straws

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 13-Feb-13 21:38:42

I am in a very affluent area I do still have the list of reg childminders in the area will phone a couple tomorrow and ask what they charge.

lechatnoir Wed 13-Feb-13 21:40:08

Please come back & update us grin

Groovee Thu 14-Feb-13 08:59:36

I've been with my childminder 7 years and in that time she has had 1 day off at short notice for a sickness bug. 1 week off after gall bladder surgery and 1 week off after her dd had her tonsils out. Didn't pay her for any of it. I think she's been having her cake and eating it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now