Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

How long does it take to register as a CM?

(11 Posts)

I met a lovely potential CM last week. She says she is just about to o her first aid course, then will apply to ofsted and should be registered in April. Is she dreaming?

NickNacks Fri 08-Feb-13 21:35:52

Erm yes!
I registered in 2009 and it took me 13 months. It can and usually is much quicker but I doubt very much that she will be regd by April. More like June/July in time for the new school year.

MrAnchovy Fri 08-Feb-13 23:22:52

It's possible, but unlikely: there is no reason to wait until you have done first aid before applying so putting that off is not going to help. What about local authority approved childminding training?

Twinklestarstwinklestars Sat 09-Feb-13 06:02:00

I did my first aid last, she should apply now then crb's can be in the system, once I applied it took hardly any time, think I applied in the nov and was registered beginning of jan but I was poorly and so was the inspector so had to change the pre ref visit.

WorriedMary Sat 09-Feb-13 07:47:19

I applied in July before I got my first aid and food safety certificates and didn't get my registration visit until November that year!

Runoutofideas Sat 09-Feb-13 08:09:41

It is possible. I did it last year. Decided to childmind in February and was registered by end April. I did it all direct with Ofsted without waiting for the courses run by my LA. I did my CYPOP5 course online with NCMA all with the approval of my LA. I finished it in the May. This has changed now and she would need to finish the course before registering. I could have completed the course more quickly though if I'd been required to. She will need to be very pro-active about it to get registered in a short time frame though and the local authority will need to approve the training course. Some say you have to do their own course which can take substantially longer than doing it in your own time.

Titchyboomboom Sat 09-Feb-13 08:12:31

12 weeks was the guidance I received. I wasn't particularly proactive about it, so it took longer, but possibly end of April if she gets on it ASAP

Thanks or your replies, I am meeting her again next week so will quiz her on how far she has got. She said she'd spoken to ofsted and they had said April so I live in hope.

To update... I still haven't found anybody else to look after my DC and my potential CM is just about to find out when she will receive her visit from ofsted.

So... What are your predictions for how long it will take her to become registered after this?

bobbi02 Mon 25-Mar-13 14:55:35

yes i finished all my courses last dec sent all my paperwork in this year iam due my inspection wed but they said it takes another 2 weeks to get your registration and you cannot even advertise till the reg number

mamamaisie Mon 25-Mar-13 16:42:07

Do you know if her CRB checks have come back yet? There is no way to predict how long these will take as it seems to really vary from person to person, but it can often take several months. Normally these are what really slows the process down. She will also have had to get a medical certificate from her GP and if Ofsted flag up anything in her medical history then that can lead to delays. sad

If the CRB checks are not back yet I wouldn't be counting on her being registered by April!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now