Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Lazy childminder

(83 Posts)
brightpinkleggings Fri 08-Feb-13 12:59:30

There is a childminder in our village who is possibly the laziest person i know. She comes to toddlers/clubs, unloads the kids, sits on her bum and doesn't move all the time she is there. Apart from the odd 'don't do that Johnny', she ignores the kids, who end up seeking attention from others. It makes me so cross that she is classed as 'good' by ofsted. If she is this lazy at toddlers, what is she like at home?

brightpinkleggings Fri 08-Feb-13 14:33:12

Also why can't you be good at home and good at toddler group? Surely if it is too much trouble you should be doing something else.

ReetPetit Fri 08-Feb-13 14:34:27

say something to her then!! or discuss it with your network co ordinator...

Fightlikeagirl Fri 08-Feb-13 14:36:38

As a cm, you know your mindees and how much interaction to give at toddler groups, my 3 yr old uses this time as a break from me!! She runs off and plays and only comes back to me when it's time to go which is great so I can then give my two youngest ones lots of attention. Maybe someone might see me and think I'm neglecting her but I'm not, she wants the independence.
If this cm's mindees are needing help from others though then maybe she should be interacting more but I'd just say something light to her like "think johnny needs some help over there". Definitely don't report her unless you have any concerns over the children's actual safety.

Greensleeves Fri 08-Feb-13 14:38:36

Defensive? Over what? I'm not a childminder confused

As a parent though, it's actually the schoolyard bitching that gives you a bad name. If you find her sitting having a cuppa "embarrassing" then don't go.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 08-Feb-13 14:39:39

Give the Daily Mail a call OP. I can see the headlines now 'Childminder its down at playgroup shocker!'

Won't somebody think of the children.

ReetPetit Fri 08-Feb-13 14:40:48

lol grin

brightpinkleggings Fri 08-Feb-13 14:42:46

Well that told me. Maybe i'll have a go at putting my feet up next time seeing as how acceptable it seems to be.

ReetPetit Fri 08-Feb-13 14:44:01

yes,try it op - it might help your stress levels wink

brightpinkleggings Fri 08-Feb-13 14:47:54

Why do you think i'm stressed? I love being a cm and get satisfaction from doing my best for my mindees wherever we are.

ReetPetit Fri 08-Feb-13 14:52:34

i just feel op, you are worrying too much. unless you feel the children are being neglected, i would try not to concern myself too much.
everyone is entitled to a break now and again. it's only 2 hours of the day you are seeing this woman for. At least she is actually bothering to go to groups.

badtemperedaldbitch Fri 08-Feb-13 15:06:06

Now you see the op's judgy attitude pisses me off and is why I only ventured to the local group today after cm for 6 months..... And before anyone asks my two are sitting with me, sleeping while I do this. I never took my own dd to any groups but a parent requested it today and I'm happy to make them happy.

But I cannot stand all the judging..... It's enough to make you question your job choice.

I love the kids, they love me, the parents are happy, and love me to.......So why do I feel that I'm in a goldfish bowl?

Do you go to the four groups a week? You must do, otherwise you wouldn't know she goes to four a week too. I would kinda think you lazy and maybe a bit unimaginative, churning over old ground again and again. Jus' sayin'.

<pokes OP with pointy stick>

brightpinkleggings Fri 08-Feb-13 16:14:51

No i dont. We usually do 2 groups. I dont want this to turn into a slanging match, just air my frustration but i obviously see things very differently to most of you. Sorry if i have offended you with my judgeyness.

HSMMaCM Fri 08-Feb-13 17:02:34

I can see where you're coming from OP. It's ok for this CM who has taken her children out for some fun to allow them to explore and free play, but she should be actively watching them and helping or intervening if necessary. I have some mindees who can get on with making friends and playing all morning and others who need closer supervision, help with painting aprons, etc.

I'd love to be able to sit down all.morning, but I can't see it happening.

I do agree that if she was really lazy, she would not take the children out.

FunnysInLaJardin Fri 08-Feb-13 17:11:02

lol, I'm not a CM either and so am not defensive, just thinking about how I am at toddler group. I let my 2yo get on with it, although I do keep an eye on him obv. The other parents most likely judge me dreadfully, but luckily I don't care!

Titchyboomboom Fri 08-Feb-13 17:16:36

I am a CM and recently in my area, there has been a notice put out to CMs asking them to ensure they look after the children in their care at children's centre groups. There have been numerous complaints about them turning up en masse, and not disciplining the children when they push, throw etc. In my area it is an issue regarding the children's unchecked behaviour

Mrscupcake23 Fri 08-Feb-13 20:58:21

I am sure she would act differently if ofsted came and inspected her at the toddler group. It annoys me when I have to do craft with other people's children because the mums or carers cannot be bothered.

knackeredmother Fri 08-Feb-13 21:04:00

I don't think this is acceptable at all op. if I was paying someone to look after my kids I would be very unhappy at this. I don't know any other profession where you expect to sit down and have a natter. Most professionals don't take lunch and would not expect to sit down 'nattering' for 2 hours out of their paid working days.
This thread puts me off ever using a childminder if this is seen as acceptable.

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 08-Feb-13 21:12:16

knackeredmother have a read up on child development, children need time to explore and play independently.

I would recommend that you avoid nurseries, nannies and schools as well. All of them would find a child playing independently in a safe, child-centered environment perfectly acceptable.

Snusmumriken Fri 08-Feb-13 21:27:05

DH and I decided not to send our LO to a childminder after seeing how negligent many of them are while at children's centres.

It took one CM about a half hour to realise that her charges had left the building. Luckily a parent had found them on the street outside ( busy London road) and brought them inside.

I want to point out that I am not implying that all or even the majority of CM are bad.

knackeredmother Fri 08-Feb-13 21:27:23

The op is describing someone who does not move for 2 hours, no intervening or managing squabbles or any interaction with children. I have a degree in child psychology, medicine and a nanny thankyou. My opinion stands, she sounds lazy.

knackeredmother Fri 08-Feb-13 21:29:04

I take it you are a childminder outraged from Leeds and hence see a 2 hour paid break as acceptable. I find this unprofessional.

Snusmumriken Fri 08-Feb-13 21:29:11

Sorry about the choppy post...I am multitasking!

bamboostalks Fri 08-Feb-13 21:31:30

The cm at a toddler group I used to go to were borderline neglectful of their charges. They sat in a covern together bitching and gossiping. The funny thing was I was only thereto find one for myself. Ididfind a tiptop one but not art that group.

ReetPetit Fri 08-Feb-13 21:32:52

knackeredmother, get off your high horse! the op is not with the cm in question at every group - she only sees her once, maybe twice a week she says. if she truly does not move, then yes, she is being lazy, but most cms do go to a 2 hour group for a 'break' of sorts and some sort of adult interaction!!

do you not get any break at all during the day? what kind of job do you do?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now