Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Lazy childminder

(83 Posts)
brightpinkleggings Fri 08-Feb-13 12:59:30

There is a childminder in our village who is possibly the laziest person i know. She comes to toddlers/clubs, unloads the kids, sits on her bum and doesn't move all the time she is there. Apart from the odd 'don't do that Johnny', she ignores the kids, who end up seeking attention from others. It makes me so cross that she is classed as 'good' by ofsted. If she is this lazy at toddlers, what is she like at home?

poachedeggs Fri 08-Feb-13 13:01:08

If I was a CM I'd be at every toddler group going to get a break from the constant cut-and-stick hell.

What's with the CM bashing today?

FunnysInLaJardin Fri 08-Feb-13 13:03:17

isn't that what toddler groups are for? To allow the children to play while you have a break?

Moominsarehippos Fri 08-Feb-13 13:04:13

Do the parents complain?

Becp Fri 08-Feb-13 13:06:35

If ofsted graded her good she must be doing something right, if she was really lazy she'd stay home and put cbeebies on. I've met one or two of those in my time envy

MirandaWest Fri 08-Feb-13 13:06:50

She's probably having a break in the toddler group as she's very active at home with the children. You are being rather petty I feel.

Floralnomad Fri 08-Feb-13 13:08:16

She brings them ,they play I always thought that was the idea.

ReetPetit Fri 08-Feb-13 13:18:05

I wouldn't worry too much op - unless you see her being truly neglectful or abusive. we are allowed to have a sit down now and then. toddler groups are about the only time i get any adult interaction so i do like a natter. do hope i'm not being judged for it by others!!

ReetPetit Fri 08-Feb-13 13:19:06

agree with Becp - the cms you have to worry about are those who are not visible. The ones who don't go to any groups. If she is going to toddlers then she is putting in that effort, more than some!

Saltire Fri 08-Feb-13 13:25:42

I agree Reet - I don't do pre school childminding any more but taking mindees to playgorups etc help socailise both children and childminder

brightpinkleggings Fri 08-Feb-13 13:29:34

I am a bit surprised that you all think this is fine. She literally doesn't move the entire time while her minded kids are pushing and shoving. Isn't this where she should be teaching them to take turns, share etc. I agree that the kids need to be able to go off and play, and there's nothing wrong with having a chat, but surely some of the time should be spent with the kids bearing in mind there are toddler groups 4 days of the week here.

NickNacks Fri 08-Feb-13 13:35:47

Are you a cm?

brightpinkleggings Fri 08-Feb-13 13:36:17

yes

Strix United States Fri 08-Feb-13 13:38:55

"If ofsted graded her good she must be doing something right"

I think you have a little too much faith in ofsted. She is probably "good" at paperwork and implemeting EYFS, which in my view as a parent is not same thing as a good childminder.

I agree with op. Of course it's find for childminders to sit down and have a chat whilst mindees play. But this one sounds like she doesn't intervene or respond to their needs when it is needed.

" she ignores the kids, who end up seeking attention from others" is not really my idea of how I would like my children to be cared for in my absense.

Flisspaps Fri 08-Feb-13 13:49:23

I'm a CM.

I don't go to groups. I make that clear to the parents of my mindees at our first meeting. The ones that sign up are happy with that - I'm a home from home service, and I never took my two to groups when it was just me and them.

Today we've made clocks, done some painting, had free play and done some drawing and letter practice. Later on we'll bake cakes if there's time after the school run

Going to groups is not a measure of how good (or not) a childminder is.

Greensleeves Fri 08-Feb-13 13:52:30

Did you get graded satisfactory OP? You've obviously got a bee in your bonnet about something.

I had a lazy childminder. She sat my kids on the sofa in front of the tv and wouldn't let them get off because they might hurt the babies who were playing on the floor (while she dicked around in the kitchen). They were bored shitless and hated going. It was only for a few weeks though thank god. Taking toddlers to a toddler group and chatting to other adults rather than helicoptering = perfectly acceptable IMO.

FunnysInLaJardin Fri 08-Feb-13 14:01:27

she should be monitoring the children and making sure they don't harm themselves or others but she doesn't need to play with them while they are there. Provided they are happy and palying with other children that's enough.

You do seem to have changed your story about now the children were behaving though from chatting to other adults to harming other children

ReetPetit Fri 08-Feb-13 14:04:47

okay maybe she is a bit lazy. if you truly feel her children are being neglected then you should inform your newtwork co ordinator/ofsted if you feel its serious enough.

Something tells me you won't do that op - which also tells me you are being a bit of a busy body, sorry....

pictish Fri 08-Feb-13 14:06:03

Oh mind your own business for crying out loud!

Becp Fri 08-Feb-13 14:06:50

Getting an ofsted "good" grading is a out far more than being good at paperwork & although I agree ofsted put too much emphasis on it, I am a good graded child minder who finds that comment a little patronising.

Becp Fri 08-Feb-13 14:08:24

*about far more. Sorry blush

RobinSparkles United States Fri 08-Feb-13 14:09:03

If she's a "good" CM she can't be that lazy. Her paper work must be up to date etc.

The groups are probably her break, TBH.

RobinSparkles United States Fri 08-Feb-13 14:12:23

She might be fabulous at home hence she has a sit down at toddler group.

Becp Fri 08-Feb-13 14:16:23

I agree with you robin, you've put it better than I did confused

brightpinkleggings Fri 08-Feb-13 14:31:50

No offence but you all seem a little defensive. No i do not have a bee in my bonnet about her being graded good. I find it embarrassing that another childminder can be so openly lazy - i think it gives us a bad name (parents do notice). And i feel sorry for her children who always come to me to sort out their needs. And that makes me embarrassed because i feel like i'm taking over her kids (which i'm not).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now