This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Reducing nanny from 4 days to 3...

(9 Posts)
RunJHC Sat 09-Feb-13 07:03:47

Thanks for all the suggestions. There are tons of nanny jobs in this area (SW London/Surrey) so I don't think she'd have a problem getting 1/2 days elsewhere. As you say just depends on her preference. Will talk to her & make offer of 18K and see where we go from there. Thanks again

MissNJE Fri 08-Feb-13 19:18:29

Could you find another family to share her with for either 1-2 days when she is not working OR one child on days she is working? That wouldn't reduce her salary.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 07-Feb-13 23:16:56

Seems a very fair wage but all depends if she can afford to go down on salary - though if I were her I would agree and either find a one day job or do the odd day here or there to make up the loss of income

All you can do is ask her

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 07-Feb-13 21:05:00

Do you live in an area with a lot of nanny jobs? I would think finding a two day job to go with your three days would be fairly straighforward.

Obviously you do run the risk of losing her if she prefers one 4-day job or doesn't want to take a pay cut, but if you only want to work 3 days then that's the risk you take I guess.

okiecokie Thu 07-Feb-13 20:39:49

Do you know anyone that you could share with and she do 3 days with you and 1 or 2 days with another family?

nannynick Thu 07-Feb-13 17:35:41

UK PAYE Calculator 2013/14
Current:
£21,000, 44 hours a week = £9.15 gross an hour
Employers NI 2013/14 £1835
Cost to employer: £22835

Proposed:
£18,000, 33 hours a week = £10.46 gross an hour
Employers NI 2013/14 £1421
Cost to employer: £19421

So they are getting quite a pay rise for the hours they would be working but it's really going to depend on what they personally need to earn. If they can not accept £18k then you will lose them to someone who is able to offer them the salary they need.

Some people are flexible in what they need to earn, others are not. You can but ask. Talk to your nanny, only way to find out if she would work a day less, thus earn less.

RunJHC Thu 07-Feb-13 17:23:47

Thanks for the response. Yes I was hoping to reduce the costs as much as poss, as I'll go down to 75% of my current salary by moving to 3 days. Would be lovely to keep her on for 4 days or some babysitting. Will do sums but I expect not affordable.

nannynick Thu 07-Feb-13 17:18:38

It is a change to the contract so you would need her agreement and you may find she can not accept the drop in salary and thus to keep her you would need to offer the same salary.

Is keeping her on 4 days a week, so you then get some time to yourself, to spend with one child, something that is possible, or is that pushing the money side too much (I presume you will be paid less yourself as you will be doing less days at work).

RunJHC Thu 07-Feb-13 16:48:32

Our nanny has been looking after our 2 sons since June working 44 hours a week over 4 days Mon-Thurs. She was at the elder one's nursery before so we've known her for a long time. She does a great job & kids love her.

Only problem is that I used to work 3 days a week when we just had DS1 and I much preferred it. Have opportunity at work to go down to 3 days and would like to take it.

Problem is of course where that leaves our nanny. I really want her to stay with us & do the same 11 hour days but only Monday-Wednesday.

We pay £21K gross at present. If I offered her £18K for 3 days (so equivalent of £24K if full-time) do you think that's a fair offer?

Thanks-any advice/experience appreciated

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now