This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

CM Club - ok lovely people, ideas please for "what can we make NOW"

(29 Posts)
Saltire Thu 07-Feb-13 14:48:46

9 year old mindee. Constantly "what can we make now". So far this week there's been a castle made out of cardboard and miles of sellotape, 2 dragons,a house a rocket and a mask.

He doesn't want to play games, read, play with any of the toys I have, colour or do any crafty things that I suggest. So please, suggestions for easy to make things which take hours for him, but which can also be doen while supervising 2 6year olds who don't want to "make"
I have to be constantly thinking things to do, his parents said they need to be thinking 5 or 6 activities in ront for him

fieldfare Tue 12-Mar-13 20:37:41

Maybe you need to have a chat with his parents on how to tackle this. He ought to be able to think independently of things to do, especially for such a short time.
The older children I look after, in that kind of time frame would typically colour/draw, do some hama bead'ing, make a bracelet/badge making kit type thing, play doh, read a book, play cards, play a board game or do a puzzle.

Why not have a mantra in your head to stop him wearing you down - "not today, why don't you get on with x,y,z, now off you go".

Saltire Tue 12-Mar-13 22:04:32

Ok thank will try the mantra. But.......................... he goes into the msot aful huffs. I have had to mention it to his parents before now as he ignores me - \I don't mind the not talking but he ignores any instructions I give him. So last week he huffed all the way to school because he couldn't find instructions on how to make a motorbike.

Saltire Tue 12-Mar-13 22:06:34

I will try having a chat with parents too, but mum doesn't take kindly to what she percieves as criticism of hr children

OutragedFromLeeds Tue 12-Mar-13 22:54:02

"NO I want to make a model, what can I amke, how about a tiger can we make a tiger, why can't we make a tiger, I don't want to goolge i want you to help me please try to find it and on and on and on".

Maybe I'm mean, but my response to this ^ would be, 'No. We can't make a tiger. We don't have time/it's too messy to do making before school. Your choices are A, B, C'. No further discussion, just a repeat of 'No, these are your choices'.

I would implement a sticker/points system whereby if he is good/cooperative in the morning, he can do making after school. Get a book/google some ideas or let him pick something if he wants and have it set up for when he gets in.

Unless you think he has special needs or something I wouldn't say anything to his mum because it's really something you should deal with. Don't pander to his making whims and work out some sort of reward/punishment system to sort the not listening.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now