Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Paying childminder whilst child in preschool

(70 Posts)
Messedupmind Wed 06-Feb-13 21:30:59

Wanted to get other views and opinions as new to this....

If a childminder has a child normally for a full day, then said child starts a preschool session once or twice a week, if the childminder takes and picks updo they get paid whilst child is in preschool? Basically so parent is paying preschool and childminder?

Thanks

SizzleSazz Wed 06-Feb-13 22:31:23

Personally i would (and did) wait until they are funded before starting preschool. No need to start preschool before 3 IMO.

HSMMaCM Wed 06-Feb-13 22:31:45

Sorry ... my last post was in reply to 13Iggis

HSMMaCM Wed 06-Feb-13 22:32:52

People forget that pre schools follow the same curriculum as CMs.

ceeveebee Wed 06-Feb-13 22:33:05

Why do you want to pay for a preschool place - why not just use the cm until you get the funded hours?

ReetPetit Wed 06-Feb-13 22:35:35

well messedup - that's how it it, it's not the cms fault you are sending your dc to preschool during your contracted hours. It adds up for you, but it adds up for her too, she has bills to pay and that is the monet she expects to earn each month.

and for 13Iggis, it would be preventing a younger child from taking the space. our ratio remain the same until a child is rising 5 and in full time education.
What is the liklehood of ops cm being able to find a parent who wants only 2-4 hours of care at the exact time op's dc is in preschool? And what happens if said dc has an accident and needs collecting? cm is then over her numbers!!

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 07-Feb-13 06:31:44

I assuming op's child is under 3 - hence no funding - so why send them to pre school if at a cm

Wait till your child is 3 op

And yes afaik all cm charge while the child is at pre school as they and fill the space for 2/3hrs so they would be out of pocket

Groovee Thu 07-Feb-13 06:44:13

I had to pay the childminder for the nursery hours when my D's was there. This was because she was the one on call for him during those sessions. So a couple of times nursery had to be closed due to circumstances beyond their control and she had him for the session hours where as had she filled the place, he would have had nowhere to go.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Thu 07-Feb-13 06:46:57

I'm a cm and charge while mindees are at preschool, I would collect/keep if it was shut but I wouldn't collect if they were ill/injured as I have the same exclusion periods as the school.

MortifiedAdams Thu 07-Feb-13 06:49:32

Why send them if you pay for.both??

OddBoots Thu 07-Feb-13 06:50:46

Is the pre-school telling you that you need to start now or lose your place?

ripsishere Thu 07-Feb-13 06:58:23

What an extraordinary question. I don't use a CM (DD is almost 12), but, the CM can't just have a child for the hours that suit you can she?

13Iggis Thu 07-Feb-13 07:59:14

There is a different ratio for babies (under 1) and pre-schoolers here (I'm in Scotland). Don't know that it makes much difference to the issue though.

Messedupmind Thu 07-Feb-13 10:13:38

Ok thanks for ur comments. Just wanted some opinions :@)

Tanith Thu 07-Feb-13 10:48:52

It's not money for doing nothing! Really infuriates me when parents say this!
Not only is she taking the time to drop off and collect your child and provide cover for when he or she is not at preschool, she will be doing extra work trying to liase with the preschool to keep learning journeys, planning etc up to date.

You don't have to send your child to preschool. If you do decide to use one, you are taking up two places; one with them and one with your childminder. Why should she have to subsidise your choice?

ceeveebee Thu 07-Feb-13 11:12:37

Maybe you should also ask her to knock an hour off while your child naps, as she's not doing anything then either?

HeadFairy Thu 07-Feb-13 11:17:49

OP, I couldn't get my head around this at first either - I don't even get paid lunch breaks but my childcarer gets paid 10 hours a week with no children to look after, but it is the norm to pay your childcarer (be it nanny or childminder) while your child is in some other setting, mostly because of the very reasonable reasons people have posted on here. If my dcs were to be ill during the school/nursery day it would take me an hour to get to them, our childminder is only 15 minutes away so it does mean I can ask her to collect them if need be. Plus ours usually uses the time to prepare an evening meal for the children so I'd say she was really still working for us.

shesariver Thu 07-Feb-13 11:29:31

This attitude makes me furious, money for nothing indeed...whats so hard to understand that the child is taking up a place and you are paying for the place, even if the child goes to nursery for 2 hours or whatever, the cm wouldn't be able to take on any other child just for those few hours.

minderjinx Thu 07-Feb-13 12:30:00

I take three children out and back to take one child to pre-school. It's a chore I could frankly do without, but it's what the parent wants. The other parents are content with the arrangement as they will probably want a similar service in a year or two. But I would be horrified to think that the parents of the first child considered they were paying me money for nothing. As others have said, it is their choice to send their child to pre-school. It is extra effort (and petrol) for me to take them there and back, and places constraints on what else I can do and when. Meanwhile I am still working, albeit with one less child, and as Shesariver also rightly points out, some of that marginally less busy time is spent preparing either food or activities or both for that one child's return.

RosieGirl Thu 07-Feb-13 13:17:14

Taking into account travelling times, you expect her to hang around and be available to be there for your child, when you can't be, but you will "paying her for doing nothing" is she going to cover the holidays? Why can't you wait for funding if its such an issue.

Oh and do you get paid for your holidays and bank holidays, many childminders don't (I know some do) do you see it as being paid for doing nothing, or part of your contract with your employer?

RosieGirl Thu 07-Feb-13 13:19:24

Maybe you can ask for a refund while the child is asleep, as the childminder won't be doing anything then either.

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 07-Feb-13 13:32:50

The child being at pre-school isn't comparable to a lunch break.

If you were at work and the computer system went down and this prevented you doing the main bit of your job would you expect your pay to be cut for those hours? You'd still be at work, you'd find little bits to do, tidy up your desk, clean the crumbs from the computer keyboard etc. When the computers came on, you'd get back to work. This is a closer comparison to a childminder/nanny having no children because of school/pre-school.

Childminders do much of their paperwork, training courses, tidying up after mindees, setting up in the morning, shopping for mindess outside of the hours they chrage you for. Would you like a bill for these hours in exchange for not charging while they're at pre-school?

Jiddle Thu 07-Feb-13 13:47:23

OP you do know you'll probably also have to pay the CM a retainer to keep the place while you are on holiday too?

Messedupmind Thu 07-Feb-13 21:45:42

Wow! I only asked a simple question to ask what was the norm - didn't expect people to rant at me the way a lot of u have? Thought this was a site to get some friendly advice and opinions not to get "bullied" into ur way of thinking.

Thanks to those who have given friendly advice and opinions.

OutragedFromLeeds Thu 07-Feb-13 21:47:23

'But nothing I can do I suppose just annoying having to pay someone for doing nothing. Childcare costs are enough already! My boss won't be paying me double to make up forit! :0) '

It was that ^ that got everyone's back up, not the original question.

HSMMaCM Thu 07-Feb-13 21:52:56

Messedupmind - CMs are a bit sensitive at the moment, because we're being.messed around by the government. Feel free to come back and ask advice, we are usually quite friendly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now