Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Paying childminder whilst child in preschool

(70 Posts)
Messedupmind Wed 06-Feb-13 21:30:59

Wanted to get other views and opinions as new to this....

If a childminder has a child normally for a full day, then said child starts a preschool session once or twice a week, if the childminder takes and picks updo they get paid whilst child is in preschool? Basically so parent is paying preschool and childminder?

Thanks

FlouncingMintyy Wed 06-Feb-13 21:38:10

Yes, because the childminder could not fill the couple of hours that are now free with another child, so would lose money.

BlueStringPudding Wed 06-Feb-13 21:40:04

Yes, we had to do this, as you're effectively stopping that slot being taken by another child..

cece Wed 06-Feb-13 21:40:48

Yes, standard practise around here.

ReetPetit Wed 06-Feb-13 21:43:15

yes, standard practice smile

LingDiLong Wed 06-Feb-13 21:43:35

Yes, afraid so. For the reasons the others have stated but also if it's a preschool that shuts for school holidays you will still have childcare all year round.

OddBoots Wed 06-Feb-13 21:44:23

I've heard it happen a lot. As a childminder is self employed they can set their own terms and they would lose a lot of money if they put an un-fillable unpaid slot into the day.

Schooldidi Wed 06-Feb-13 21:47:31

Yes I'm going to be doing that after Easter. My cm can't fill the space for 2 hours every morning (who wants those hours for childcare?), and can't take a child for longer because she has my dd.

Are you going to be paying the pre-school? Or is it the funded hours?

Messedupmind Wed 06-Feb-13 22:12:57

Thank u everyone. Not funded sessions yet, so have to pay.

I wouldn't mind but childminder has no other children so not stopping a space as such.

But nothing I can do I suppose just annoying having to pay someone for doing nothing. Childcare costs are enough already! My boss won't be paying me double to make up forit! :0)

ReetPetit Wed 06-Feb-13 22:15:46

hmm you are not paying her to do nothing. She is taking your child to and from pre school and I assume on standy should anything happen to child during pre school hours??

and the fact she hasn't got any other children is not your concern. she could take someone on tomorrow or get a call tomorrow and have to turn it away because your child is using those hours.

childminders have to make a living too....

HSMMaCM Wed 06-Feb-13 22:19:55

Your CM won't have much time free by the time she's dropped off and got back home, until she has to go back to pick up.She will presumably keep your child if pre school is closed and during school holidays? I prefer not to take children to pre school and breaking up the day is more hassle to me than the benefit of any time off.

You have choices ... find a CM who doesn't charge for that time, don't send your child to pre school, wait until you have funded hours, or any other ideas you can think of.

Messedupmind Wed 06-Feb-13 22:20:02

U make it sound so cut and dry. So this works for before and after school care then? :0)

ReetPetit Wed 06-Feb-13 22:22:34

your child is taking up an under 5s place. it is different for before/after school....

13Iggis Wed 06-Feb-13 22:22:58

Nursery is a better option in that regard, as you will get a reduction in fees (if they are a partner provider with your local council)

difficultpickle Wed 06-Feb-13 22:23:02

Care ratio is different for 5 and over. Perfectly normal for under 5s in my experience. You don't have to use a CM you always use a nursery instead.

ReetPetit Wed 06-Feb-13 22:25:21

and i don't mean to sound rude but if it's only once or twice a week it's not going to be massively expensive to pay both. but your cm will not be able to fill one or two 2 hour sessions a week.

looneytune Wed 06-Feb-13 22:26:17

Totally normal to charge in this situation.

HSMMaCM Wed 06-Feb-13 22:26:43

This is why I registered to do the funded hours, so the children can stay with me and their parents get the money saving.

HSMMaCM Wed 06-Feb-13 22:27:21

What will your child get from pre school that they won't get at a CM?

13Iggis Wed 06-Feb-13 22:29:09

How long is the session? Here it is 2.5 hours. Quite a bit of time if you live nearby. I agree with paying it by the way, but I don't think it's always true that you are preventing a younger child from having that place as surely ratios mean that more children over 3 can be minded than younger ones or babies.

OutragedFromLeeds Wed 06-Feb-13 22:29:23

Standard practice.

If it's too pricey, don't send him/her to pre-school. A childminder will provide the same learning opportunities as a pre-school and should take your child to playgroups etc where they can mix with other children.

From 3 you will get funding for a pre-school/nursery place.

MirandaWest Wed 06-Feb-13 22:29:42

I paid my CM when my DC were at preschool - if they had been ill the CM would have picked them up.

PatriciaHolm Wed 06-Feb-13 22:29:44

Presumably you would expect the CM to pick up your child were they sent home from pre-school sick, or indeed to have them if pre-school were closed? The CM is still effectively in loco parentis for those hours, so needs paying. Pre and post school may well be different, as the CM can fill the middle hours with pre schoolers, but you may still have to pay some retainer for the school hours if you would expect the CM to pick them up if they were sent home sick, or on an inset day, for example.

Messedupmind Wed 06-Feb-13 22:30:06

No youre right but works out at about £10 a day - £20 a week - £80 to £100 per month extra. All adds up doesn't it!

HSMMaCM Wed 06-Feb-13 22:30:22

No ... for CMs it's up to age 5. Not the same ratios as nurseries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now