This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Which Nanny Union should I join

(12 Posts)
Helyn Fri 15-Feb-13 11:58:39

My colleague has been a member of Voice for years. They are a non striking union and provide information, advice, insurance and most importantly personal representation! They also provide free student membership which is the reason my colleague joined them in the first place! www.voicetheunion.org.uk/nannies

Strix Thu 07-Feb-13 09:47:06

ok, I was joking. I don't currently employ a nanny anyway (currently have au pair and childminder which is working out very nicely).

Derbys Wed 06-Feb-13 21:10:09

I was with voice for years. Found them very helpful when I worked in a crèche. I contacted them for help with a nanny job and they didn't really seem to help much so I decided it was a lot of money to pay out and cancelled my membership.

I'm interested I'm the union, never knew about it but I thought that their sole purpose was to advise an employee about legal matters? I don't think I'd join it as I could get legal advice in many places unless they had other perks?

I'm a member of the bapn, because I believe in their ethos and am waiting to see what they plan to offer in my area in the future. I figure for half price membership as I'm a student still it's worth it!

AndBingoWasHisNameOh Wed 06-Feb-13 16:49:08

Strix, I really wouldn't put that on a questionnaire, attractive as it may be.

The Trade Union and Labour Relations (Consolidation) Act 1992 forbids employers refusing to employ someone or treating them unfairly because of trade union membership or participation in trade union activities, or conversely because they refuse to join a trade union or eschew trade union activities.

Ask that question and you could be risking discrimination claims from people you don't employ if they think it is down to this...

Strix Wed 06-Feb-13 15:06:16

Who needs an organisation give information and support when you have MN and nannyjob?

Let's see I oppose registration, absolutely detest Ofsted and its' truly remarkable incompetance... Do you think I could find myself negotiating with the likes of Bob Crowe.

Really, why would a nanny join a union???

Is there a nanny employer union? One where we can all get together and use the power of number's to keep the entitlement culture aligned with the real world?

fraktion Wed 06-Feb-13 14:59:19

Be afraid strix

As opposed to www.bapn.org.uk which is less industrial action, more information and support.

Strix Wed 06-Feb-13 14:55:40

I feel a new question making it's way onto my nanny (au pair) questionnaire...

Strix Wed 06-Feb-13 14:51:16

Oh good God, are their unions for nannies???? shock

nannynick Wed 06-Feb-13 14:44:42

No. I am interested to know why you want to join a union, what it is you feel they offer you as a nanny?

fraktion Wed 06-Feb-13 14:43:02

Voice is the only union for nannies. The others are professional associations, which you can join concurrently.

gruffaloshild Wed 06-Feb-13 14:19:15

I want to join Voice has anyone got any experience with Nanny unions? Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now