This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Meeting was cancelled due to snow last night -should I still pay my babysitter?

(8 Posts)
DerbyNottsLeicsNightNanny Thu 07-Feb-13 16:29:49

On the rare occasion that I get cancelled, I dont charge a cancellation fee. However if parents were persistent 'cancellers' I would be wary and may even decide to stop taking bookings from them (not saying you are persistently cancelling though!). I think it'd be really nice to give her a bit extra next time she babysits as a gesture of goodwill (although none of my parents have ever done this for me). If on the otherhand she got to your house before you decided not to go out, then I would pay full amount.

meditrina Wed 06-Feb-13 15:10:42

I think you should offer to pay: if there's embarrassment on her part, then you can settle a lower 'retainer' rather than the full hourly rate.

Floralnomad Wed 06-Feb-13 15:08:59

I'd offer the payment and if she says no then just pay her a little extra next time . She may be more offended by not being offered the money .

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 06-Feb-13 15:05:19

i have a 48hr cancellation fee of 4hrs when i babysit, as there has been times ive been asked by several parents for same date, and then got cancelled and out of pocket as other parents then have found someone (fair enough)

used to be 24hrs but would get cancelled fri night for sat night - grr

as you said she was willing and able to get to you, and maybe she was relying on that money, so i feel you should pay something if not whole amount

nannynick Wed 06-Feb-13 08:31:19

You say she was able to make it to you, so does that mean she came and then you decided not to go out?

I would say that Yes you should offer something to compensate, maybe add a bit to next time.

whattodoo Wed 06-Feb-13 07:44:27

How far in advance did you know about the cancelation and let her know?

birdofthenorth Wed 06-Feb-13 07:44:09

cash-strapped even

birdofthenorth Wed 06-Feb-13 07:43:21

Just what the title says really. If due to unforeseen circumstances outside my control I no longer needed my babysitter, should I still pay? Babysitter is a friend who I normally pay a decent rate to (she is amazing with DD) but who is a bit embarrassed to receive it. The meeting will be rescheduled at some point so I will probably need her again soon. I think she might be offended if I offer cash for nothing tbh (& I'm pretty cash-strapp until pay day mid month) but then again she was willing and able to make it to us in the snow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now