This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How early is too early?

(21 Posts)
sleeplessinderbyshire Sun 10-Feb-13 23:28:40

since it is alternate weeks and minimal (although antisocial hours) why not try advertisingon gumtree or similar for a semi regular babysitter. this might well appeal to a local student who could come to you, crash on your sofa from 530 til time to get your DD up for school and then have the rest of the day free for lectures/another job. The hours will be impossible with a CM I think but remember loads of cleaners work exactly these hours so there will be people willing it's just finding someone reliable

an overnight CM might be an answer for the early starts?

morescribbles Sat 09-Feb-13 21:23:57

Posted too early! I was about to say that I have 5 kids of my own to get ready for school so my curtains are shut and I don't open the door until 7.30am. Every minute counts!

morescribbles Sat 09-Feb-13 21:21:49

My hours are 7.30 to 6pm and it is fairly normal around here. Mind y

forevergreek Sat 09-Feb-13 20:50:46

I would look at and au pair. They would live in your house so would be there already. The au pair and your child can both stay in bed until a more social hour. Then she can take her to school. This might appeal to lots of au pairs as they would then have the rest of the day free to study/ learn English/ etc etc

ReetPetit Wed 06-Feb-13 16:43:04

i do think that would be really very unfair on your dd op - at 5 yrs she would then have to do a full day at school! shock exhausting for her.
I would explore the possibility of an au pair for a child of that age or otherwise look at changing yours/dh working hours as I can see you are trying to do...

NickNacks Wed 06-Feb-13 16:22:19

I wouldn't mind the every other week bit but I'd charge every week though. Too much of a difficult contract to turn away someone who wants every week and do myself out of income half the month.

Rowgtfc72 Wed 06-Feb-13 16:18:11

Thanks for your replies. Am just trying to explore all possibilities. To be quite honest I would rather come out of work and struggle on Dhs wage than get dd (shes five by the way ) up at that time of day. Have left my possible working hours with my boss to see if he can come up with anything. We have managed five and a half yrs without childcare so really have no idea how it all works. Did wonder how childminders would feel about a every other week arrangement.Not sure I would fancy it if I was childminding.Thanks again.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 06-Feb-13 14:55:28

thats very early, and tbh very unfair on your child/ren to get up at that time

maybe look at someone coming to your house, or can then crash out on the sofa till time to wake up kids

all you can do is ask your local cm's - as although they may be willing to start early, would they be able to do your school run if have children at another school?

Strix Wed 06-Feb-13 12:32:18

Even if you find a childminder to take on these hours (unlikely but possible), what time is said child going to have to get up to get ready to go to the childminder? I have an au pair who starts work when I walk out the door at 6:00am. I can't imagine getting children ready and ut the door before this time.

Could you go with a 7:30 start and you do the drop off on weeks that DH is not able to?

looneytune Wed 06-Feb-13 11:00:47

I think it's a matter of asking. I personally wouldn't, I used to start at 6.45am but now the earliest I start is 7.30am. I always charged more for hours outside of 8am - 6pm and if I did agree to a 5.30am, I may even charge a higher rate but we're all different. You'll only find out by ringing round, certainly can ask. Good luck smile

calmlychaotic Wed 06-Feb-13 01:28:29

if they went back to bed and I could open door in pj's and go back to sleep I wouldn't mind. all you can do is ask/advertise.

doughnut44 Tue 05-Feb-13 22:16:49

Gosh - good luck with that one. I don't know any childminders who would start that early - bear in mind that they prob don't finish till about half 5/6pm with other mindees x let us know how you get on smile

apotomak Tue 05-Feb-13 20:45:43

I have a child early in the morning on regular basis. Usually around 5 am but have had her as early as 3.30am. She's 7. She comes in PJ and I usher her straight to bed then wake her just after 7am to get her ready for school. For me it's not really a problem as I have known the child for a few years and she has been coming during the day for quite some time before the parents went on shiftwork. I am not sure I'd be comfortable doing this for a new child but with her and her family I am totally comfortable (I open the door in PJs in the morning and go back to bed once she's settled).
I have also had a younger child early but that exhausted me as the little one came at 5am every day wide awake and ready to play.

ReetPetit Tue 05-Feb-13 17:30:29

i agree, au pair a better option. how old is your child?

ZuleikaD Tue 05-Feb-13 17:19:32

I would have thought you'd be better off with a nanny or au pair - apart from the difficulty of finding a CM to do those hours presumably you'd have to get your DC up before 5am.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Tue 05-Feb-13 17:19:07

All you can do is ask, I do 6am starts when shifts change for an existing mindee but mum is fine if I've just got up and we just watch tv for an hour or so til my kids get up.

I don't think I'd take on another though and would charge double before 7.

Iggly Tue 05-Feb-13 17:18:40

Can you change your hours?

ReetPetit Tue 05-Feb-13 17:16:45

it's very unlikely imo that you will find a cm to start at 5.30am. most start from 8am - so be prepared to pay double time for the half hour from 7.30am.
you may be lucky and find someone who really needs the money and would be willing to do 4 days every fortnight - most who have no trouble filling their places wouldn't bother (sorry) as it's only 1.5 hours money each day. Some may even charge you for both weeks whether you are using them or not.
I think the best thing would be to test the water and call a few - try childcare.co.uk, it's easier for cms to decline if the hours/days don't fit via email! Good Luck smile

fivesacrowd Tue 05-Feb-13 17:08:19

I think you'll struggle to find a cm willing to start work at 5.30am tbh. Lots start at 7.30 or 8 so that's more likely. Depends on where you are though, I suppose if lots of people near you commute a long distance then it might be the norm for cm to start really early. I struggle to be ready to open at 8 some mornings and sometimes work til 7pm so that's a long enough day for me!

Rowgtfc72 Tue 05-Feb-13 16:10:23

Dhs hours have just changed and its likely we would either need to find a childminder from 5.30am - 9.00am(doing school drop off) every other week for four days, or 730am -900am (doing drop off) every other week for four days. Do childminders start this early and would it be very expensive . Also would it put a childminder off with it being only four days a week fortnightly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now