Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Do you think I'd be taking on too much?

(13 Posts)
doughnut44 Tue 05-Feb-13 22:02:27

Must say I did panic a bit today when I saw the snow - I live at the bottom of a hill and there is no way my car would have got up to collect my son from school. Hubby wasn't well but thankfully dragged himself out of bed to collect him smile

nannynick Tue 05-Feb-13 10:47:08

Toddlers walk or double buggy, baby in sling or backpack.
Yes don't over think it, you know really what you can manage.

fivesacrowd Tue 05-Feb-13 09:28:58

Thanks everyone. I've said I'll think about it and let them know. It's snowing here today and so I'm thinking how I'd manage school runs etc with two littlies in this weather. Tbh my own dc are old enough to walk home themselves if they had to. Think I need to stop over thinking it and go with th flow tbh. I've been doing this job long enough to know that you can't plan for all eventualities, you just have to get on with it and hopefully have fun in the process. Off now to build a snowman with mindee who's about to arrive (if his mum can get her car out their street!)

vicki2010 Mon 04-Feb-13 21:50:48

I have three 1yr old 4 days a week!! One is just one yr and the other also just one and the third will be two in April!! So long as you are well organised and plan accordingly you should be fine if you are up for it. I tend to prefer small age gaps because as they grow up they become wonderful friends.

I also have two of my own who are 8 + 11 yrs.
Good luck if you decide to!!

HSMMaCM Mon 04-Feb-13 21:36:12

I have regularly had 3 under 5s. It depends on your routine and whether you could make it work. Think long and hard, because you don't want to fall out with your friend over it.

Fightlikeagirl Mon 04-Feb-13 21:31:26

I have a 3yo, a 18mth and a 5 mth for 2 days a week. I found it really hard the first two weeks but then it all seemed to fall into place and last week I even managed an hour to eat my lunch in peace as they all slept at the same time!!
I go to toddler groups both mornings and do school runs. I don't drive and use a double buggy. The 3yo is quite happy to walk holdinginto the buggy. I just have to factor in that it now takes me twice as long to get anywhere!! It is hard work and would definitely not do it full time but for two days its ok.

doughnut44 Mon 04-Feb-13 20:58:48

I manage it fine. We get out and about - parks, play areas, play groups - best places to go are the childrens centres as the staff help. Got to say I do prefer the older age group but we all have a good time and it will be great when the 14m and 9m old are older x x

OutragedFromLeeds Mon 04-Feb-13 18:59:40

I think it depends on the other children tbh.

Are the 2 year olds just 2, 2.5 or nearly 3. Are they in nappies or pants, can they walk/take turns walking or do they both need a buggy? Is the 14 month old clingy or independent? I think those sorts of things will make the decision.

ReetPetit Mon 04-Feb-13 18:41:05

i wouldn't fancy it personally but each to their own!!
I look after two 2 years old on two days and purposely don't take any other children on those days as I like to get out and about without too much hassle.
one of my two year olds (actually not quite yet 2) is independent and doesn't need the buggy much at all - the older one is slower with being able to walk or anything like that,still very much needs buggy or I would never get anywhere! I think you know your 2 year olds and how it would work.
I really wouldn't fancy the mix of 2 yr old, 14 mth and 9 mth - absoulute nightmare! but again if you think you can do it, and if that 2 year old is able to walk then it could work.
i wouldn't like to start someone and then find i'd taken on more than i could manage which is why i keep my numbers low - two x 2 yr old 2 days and 2 yr old + baby the other 3 days...

nannynick Mon 04-Feb-13 18:30:16

Two 2 year olds I plus baby is fine, especially if the 2 year old's are fairly independent. The tough day will be when you have 2yo, 14mo, 9mo as the younger two may well need a lot of attention - but it's just one day and they may both nap at the same time (if you are lucky).

I would go for it.

fivesacrowd Mon 04-Feb-13 18:20:32

Thanks Nick. Have space for 3 group 1 cars seats in back and school within walking distance if I use buggy board on double pram. So that's one thing sorted then smile

nannynick Mon 04-Feb-13 18:14:46

What about the logistics - do you use a car for the school runs and getting to activities? Have you got room for the car seats - the Group 1 seats I find take up more space and don't always fit well in all seat positions (though this will depend on the make/model of vehicle).

fivesacrowd Mon 04-Feb-13 18:09:35

I currently cm 4 days a week and look after 6 mindees in total. I've been asked by sister of dfriend to potentially have her baby 3 days. It would mean having 2 x 2 years and baby from 9months on two days and then 2yo, 14 mo and 9mo on one day. So still within number limits but would I be mad to take him on? At the moment we get out and about everyday and I'm worried that with three little ones I'd be stuck in (though I'd still have to do school runs). Although with each passing week the 2 yo's are getting more independent and less demanding so I'm thinking I could manage them and its a contingency for when older ones go to nursery as I'd still have littler ones. Any thoughts lovely cms?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now