This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nanny babysitting question?

(8 Posts)
Blondeshavemorefun Mon 04-Feb-13 16:01:00

is this 2 nights a week? assume you are live in

maybe ask for set days to bs so that you can plan and have a social life as well

it would be annoying if i have arranged to meet a friend/do dinner or anything that I wanted to do, to then be told i had to bs

neither should have to change their plans, but if set days are not in writing then parents have no right to ask you to change your plans

as a live out nanny, mb would always ask me if i was fee to bs (and even asks me first now ive left) and if i cant do it then ask one of my friends, there is always a nanny who is free and wants to earn extra pennies, plus my ex boss's are lovely so a nice easy bs iyswim

OutragedFromLeeds Sun 03-Feb-13 22:08:24

I think at least a week is reasonable notice.

I do put any dates I'm not available in the nanny diary though, so they know in advance if they're going to need someone else for that date. Or if they don't look, they can't complain about me not being available because I've had my plans booked for weeks/months.

RedRidingChops Sun 03-Feb-13 21:19:54

I always ask for 48 hours as standard, in practice most times I'm asked a week or more in advance, but quite often my boss will call and say can I do this afternoon (on weekends) or ask during my working day if I can stay late. If it's short notice I know I can say no with no problems. If I have important plans I let my boss know as soon as I arrange it, like family coming to stay, so they can arrange other cover if needed.

laalala Sun 03-Feb-13 20:54:00

Okay, thanks. I'm a nanny and just find it a bit awkward when asked to babysit and I already have plans. I feel guilty if they can't find anyone else so have to stay in whilst I'm off having a good time.

forevergreek Sun 03-Feb-13 20:41:34

a week. but nanny can always refuse and do another night. you choose 2 nights but unless set days cannot dictate she cant make any plans. some things may be booked months in advance by her.

if she cant then get another babysitter. the employer should cancel their plans unless they pay for nanny to be on standby evening evening

Mogandme Sun 03-Feb-13 20:41:25

If I am busy (Im a nanny) I wouldn't expect to cancel my plans

nannynick Sun 03-Feb-13 20:36:22

Hard to know... if contract says 2 nights babysitting a month, then I suppose a months advance notice is reasonable. If it's 2 nights a week, then a weeks notice is reasonable.

If both have made plans already then maybe get someone else to babysit - so ideally neither has to forgo going out. Nanny or parent presumably planned to out before the other, so whoever was second to decide on that date should cancel their arrangements in my view.

laalala Sun 03-Feb-13 20:29:59

How much notice do you think should be given for babysitting if it's in the contract that 2 nights could be used for babysitting? And if both the employer and the nanny make plans for the same night, who do you think should have to cancel their plans?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now