Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Development matters, document sucks

(13 Posts)
squinker45 Sun 03-Feb-13 11:21:31

Anyone else feel that the development matters document is an unwieldy and pointlessly complicated way of looking at the EYFS 2012? Who's it for, anyway? I hate the layout, too. I do admit it has taken me this long to look at it, but now I have I am glad I didn't bother before. The statutory framework document is actually very clear and straightforward. I hope development matters hasn't put anyone off by its length and its horrible charts.

Right, that's got that off my chest! Back to writing 2 year development checks!

HSMM Sun 03-Feb-13 12:20:54

Its very similar to the development stuff in the old EYFS. I like it, but I know some don't.

HSMM Sun 03-Feb-13 12:25:08

Having said that ... I don't agree with everything they've put in it, but I do find it easy to use

stomp Sun 03-Feb-13 14:54:12

Lucky its only guidance then wink squinker

I think its useful as a guide to development but much rather rely of the good old fashion childcare development books/knowledge, although it would be almost impossible (and foolish) to ignore the DM.
The columns of unique child, positive relationships and enabling environments do have their place and i think people often do not take into account the last two columns, which is a shame as there is plenty of stuff there to think about.
Mine is already falling apart confused
Have you had any good training? I did one on the Characteristics of Effective Learning which also helped me understand the DM areas of learning more- the thought behind it.

ZuleikaD Sun 03-Feb-13 15:02:33

I use it for assessments - copy-paste the relevant age-stage into my own Word doc then print off and highlight as they do stuff. Parents find it quite useful, I think.

HSMMaCM Sun 03-Feb-13 19:19:07

I use it for plans, observations, assessments ... all sorts. Saves me trying to think of ideas grin.

(NB: Previously HSMM, but name changed, as someone now has a similar name)

squinker45 Sun 03-Feb-13 21:36:57

'although it would be almost impossible (and foolish) to ignore the DM.'

Aw but I really really want to.

I guess it has been presented for people who are visual learners - wierdly, I would prefer a load of normal text to look at.
I also hate the guidance on the 2 year check.
I have QTS so I know a fair bit about the Characteristics of Effective Learning. The main thing is that I am an awkward old trout though, who doesn't like to be told what to do!
I dont get that there are only 3 columns - where is the bit about how children develop at their own rate and in different ways (principle 4)?

HSMMaCM Sun 03-Feb-13 22:25:30

I use it to do my own 2 yr check in my own way, where I can talk about the individual child. I say what the child can do and link it (loosely) to DM.

HSMMaCM Sun 03-Feb-13 22:25:52

Ignore it ... I dare you grin

calmlychaotic Sun 03-Feb-13 23:19:56

yes totally agree its badly laid out and annoying. I have spent ages creating my own versions but after ofsted went on about it so much -thought non statutory meant just that but hey. I have kind of grudgingly got used to it now.

squinker45 Mon 04-Feb-13 08:47:27

I am going to tell my early years consultant today that I don't write anything down either, apart from daily diary and 2 year check... will let you know what she says! She INSISTS on written planning and assessment, despite the new EYFS stating that it's not necessary. Let's see if they let me in the accredited network (looks doubtful)

ZuleikaD Mon 04-Feb-13 11:26:36

It wouldn't be at all unusual for network people to have higher standards than Oftsed. My lot do the same.

squinker45 Mon 04-Feb-13 15:18:54

Ha! They let me in! But they did say I had to start writing a few things down, transition records of course, but also next steps even though I bored her to tears talking about all the planning I have in my head. Spoilsports. And I did have to pretend I don't hate the DM document. All in all though, a good result!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now