This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Childminder

(10 Posts)
abas Fri 01-Feb-13 19:07:36

My daughter has a fabulous, energetic and loving childminder but this afternoon on the bus between Wimbledon and Kingston I sat behind a childminder/au pair and a young child (I think a boy - probably 2ish). For the whole journey the childminder sat with her headphones in and sent text messages or spoke to someone in what appeared to be an Eastern European language. There was no contact with the child other than to say - 'I told you not to do that'. The child was so well behaved and just sat quietly, turning round to smile at me every now and again. The childminder was obviously having to be somewhere at a certain time and our bus was held up because of roadworks - so she plonked the child into the buggy facing away from her and moved to sit across the aisle so she could see what was happening. Suddenly she rang the bell - and, although not at a stop, the driver opened the door - she pulled the buggy angrily and got off the bus. I really think a bus ride is when she could have had a wonderful conversation with the child about the things we were passing.

HSMM Fri 01-Feb-13 19:11:46

How do you know she was a Childminder, or aupair? She might have been the child's mother/older sibling.

HSMM Fri 01-Feb-13 19:12:06

Either way ... a conversation with the child would have been a good idea.

ReetPetit Fri 01-Feb-13 19:12:12

sad that's sad for the child. This kind of thing makes me quite angry - probably rich parents who could afford quality childcare but doing it on the cheap. Using a uninterested au pair who they are paying less than minimum wage. Awful.

I bet you any more in the world this woman was not a registered childminder.

An au pair should not even be looking after a 2 year old but that shows how much some parents think of their children....

ReetPetit Fri 01-Feb-13 19:13:45

money, sorry - not more.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Fri 01-Feb-13 19:54:52

You don't know they were a childminder or au pair it could have been their mum.

Not good for the child but I wouldn't assume it was a childminder.

MUM2BLESS Fri 01-Feb-13 21:09:47

I was going to ask how you knew it was a cm/nanny?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Fri 01-Feb-13 21:12:10

Lots of judgey pants in here tonight! wink

How some of these conclusions are reached amazes me!

SamSmalaidh Fri 01-Feb-13 21:12:18

She could have been a young mum, older sister, cousin, aunt, au pair? Childminder seems least likely!

ZuleikaD Sun 03-Feb-13 15:05:17

How on earth did you know it was a CM??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now