This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Is it too low?

(52 Posts)
MarieSarah Fri 01-Feb-13 16:50:48

Hello,

I have a little boy who is one month old. I had found a great nanny ( more than 6 years of exprience, qualified, good references...) but she told us last week that she had found a better job and let us down.

I have interviewed 2 other nannies but they both declined the job saying that it wasn't paying enough.

I am searching for a nanny/housekeeper, so she would do everyhting in the house (the floor, the baby's/our's laundry and ironong, cook, clean the bathrooms, kitchen, and keep everything clean in general, the flat isn't big) as I will be working full time.

She would have sole care of our 3 month old son. I want someone with more than 5 years experience with babies and if possible qualified. I want my son to get out twice a day at least 1 hour (and from 6 month, go to Gymboree or playgroups).

It would be 45/55 hours a week, and the pay would be between 6,5 and7 pounds net an hour. My friend tells me that it's really low, but I think it's already good for a full time.

Can you tell me if yu think it's low for central london, and how much should I pay for what I ask?

sleeplessinderbyshire Sat 02-Feb-13 14:24:55

I pay that for someone v part time who is essentially a babysitter 2 afternoons a week (and has no childcare qualifications but is a mum and grandma herself) and we are "oop north" in an area of v high unemployment (and I am starting to feel guilty and will likely offer a pay rise to mine at the end of her probationary period)

OP no way will you find anyone even half decent prepared to work for that money

DoubleLifeIsALifeHalved Sat 02-Feb-13 18:07:14

nanny yes am in centra ish london, but she's only been with me 3 months, so not sure when is appropriate to think about pay reviews. She's quite young and hasn't done any childcare courses, although she's very sensible and has had a couple of nannying jobs before.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now