Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Is it too low?

(52 Posts)
MarieSarah Fri 01-Feb-13 16:50:48

Hello,

I have a little boy who is one month old. I had found a great nanny ( more than 6 years of exprience, qualified, good references...) but she told us last week that she had found a better job and let us down.

I have interviewed 2 other nannies but they both declined the job saying that it wasn't paying enough.

I am searching for a nanny/housekeeper, so she would do everyhting in the house (the floor, the baby's/our's laundry and ironong, cook, clean the bathrooms, kitchen, and keep everything clean in general, the flat isn't big) as I will be working full time.

She would have sole care of our 3 month old son. I want someone with more than 5 years experience with babies and if possible qualified. I want my son to get out twice a day at least 1 hour (and from 6 month, go to Gymboree or playgroups).

It would be 45/55 hours a week, and the pay would be between 6,5 and7 pounds net an hour. My friend tells me that it's really low, but I think it's already good for a full time.

Can you tell me if yu think it's low for central london, and how much should I pay for what I ask?

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 01-Feb-13 17:03:53

Is it live-in? Or live-out?

If it's live-out then you need to pay at least £10 net ph to get someone with qualifications and experience.

Why don't you look at other ads for your area and see what they're offering. This will give you an idea of what the average expected wage is.

Runoutofideas Fri 01-Feb-13 17:07:14

From what I read on here that is very low. Decent nannies are able to command £10-12 p h gross especially nanny/housekeepers as many don't want the housekeeping role. You should always discuss it as a gross salary anway to avoid confusion over tax. I would imagine there are childminders in central london earning £6.50 per hour, so if that is your budget you may need to consider a childminder instead.

HeadFairy Fri 01-Feb-13 17:08:33

I do think that's quite low for central London. We're in Surrey and we pay that to our nanny who is not formally trained and brings her own dd to work with her and does no domestic duties (well none that I ask her to, sometimes she's very sweet and does it anyway). The job is only 30 hours a week and I'm always conscious that we pay at the low end of the scale so I'm very generous with leave (we pretty much let her have what she wants so long as my mum is around at the time to look after the kids - it usually works out as 6 weeks a year) and I do give her an extra £30 a week to spend on extras which I dont' ask her to account for, it's hers to do with what she likes though if I ask her to get a loaf of bread she has to get it out of that money. But that's rare.

Be wary of net salaries... work out what you can afford and offer a gross salary. We've been stung by the net salary thing in the past.

ReetPetit Fri 01-Feb-13 17:13:00

far too low! sorry...

childminders in central london are £8 an hour so what you are offering is ridiculous

nbee84 Fri 01-Feb-13 17:14:32

The job won't appeal to many experienced nannies because of the housekeeping element. In central London you would be looking to pay at least £10 net per hour and if you want the housekeeping done to an additional premium taking it to at least £12-£13 net per hour. Nannies will usually do what's termed as 'nursery duties' which are any household tasks related to the children - so keeping their rooms clean, doing their washing and ironing, cooking for them etc.

With the money you have quoted I think it will have to be a childminder - which is the cheaper option when you only have one child.

KatherinaMinola Fri 01-Feb-13 17:16:49

If one person has chucked the job in before starting and two others have declined it then I think you have your answer...

Pendipidy Fri 01-Feb-13 17:17:12

Why don't you employ a cleaner and a nanny or child minder? Cleaner for a few hours a week and the nanny Will have less hours and more time to do baby stuff. I wouldn't want to work those hours, those jobs for that amount of money. Far too low.

DoubleLifeIsALifeHalved Fri 01-Feb-13 17:23:08

For London? Yup too low, I found someone for £10ph gross, but had many refuse the job when they realised it wasn't net... I suspect I'll be having to give a pay rise soon so she doesn't leave.

Also agree to get a cleaner once a week too, as nannys will normally not be solely responsible for cleaning. I wouldn't ask mine to do mopping floors or cleaning bathroom for example.

ReetPetit Fri 01-Feb-13 17:51:11

is this a real post? hmm

MarieSarah Fri 01-Feb-13 17:54:15

Yes, it's real. Is 7 pounds net an hour really too low? 10 £ an hour is so much! I's rather not chose a chilminder or a nursery as I'd like someone at home to make everything run as I won#t be there during the week and would like to relax during the weekend.

Do you think 8£ an hour would be enough?

Nicknamenotavailableeither Fri 01-Feb-13 17:56:35

I suspect not seeing as all the replies recommended paying at least £10 per hour.

ReetPetit Fri 01-Feb-13 17:57:56

at least £10, probably more. not many qualified nannies with several years experience are interested in washing floors etc hmm

you can't have someone taking your baby out for a specified number of hours a day AND doing all your cleaning.

To be blunt, if you want all that, it's best not to go to work OR pay the going rate...

Gigondas Fri 01-Feb-13 18:01:45

No it won't- 9 pound minimum . When you consider area, split role and hours it is too low.
I am not in central London and pay more 10 ph for nanny/housekeeper.

It is a question of paying going rate or doing as other have suggested - nursery/cm and cleaner.

ReetPetit Fri 01-Feb-13 18:02:07

and you need more than one person.

You need to pay a nanny the going rate for childcare of your baby and then get a cleaner as well....

why is it that people think it's acceptable to pay childcarers such a low wage? they are caring for your most prized possession!!

nbee84 Fri 01-Feb-13 18:05:17

Why would a nanny take a job with all the household cleaning and cooking, when they could take a job with only nursery duties for the same or more money? If you did manage to get someone at anything up to £10 per hour, don't expect them to stay for long!

ReetPetit Fri 01-Feb-13 18:06:38

or be very good at their job wink

OutragedFromLeeds Fri 01-Feb-13 18:10:00

OP you've had 3 nannies turn the job down because it isn't enough.

Then 7 posts telling you, yes it's too low.

Then you come back to ask, is it really too low?

Look at other job ads for your area and use your common sense.

HeadFairy Fri 01-Feb-13 18:11:37

I agree I think there's too much domestic duties in there... nannies are not cleaners and vice versa...

Megsdaughter Fri 01-Feb-13 18:12:14

I'm a Nanny/Housekeeper, with 2 year old & 4 year charges. 4 year old at school.

In Wiltshire.

I have 30 years experience.

I get £13.00 net.

And I dont do the heavy cleaning, a lass comes in on a Friday to hoover right through wash floors and do things like windows.

I do the washing, the children's rooms, whip the hoover round if need be, cook and bake. I dont iron (nor does anyone smile )

On top of my £13.00 per hour I get 45p per mile petrol and ten pounds per week for groups and such.

Have you factored in that as well?

nannynick Fri 01-Feb-13 18:20:44

5 years experience with babies?
So if a nanny starts a job and the baby is 3 months old, they stay a year (so that's one year baby experience, or is it less?) then move to another job again with a 3 month old, stay a year, move on... You get the idea... It could take a long time even if changing job very frequently to get 5 years baby experience, unless their employer keeps producing babies every 18 months!

To have that amount of experience the nanny may have been nannying 15 years perhaps more. They are going to command a higher salary than you are offering.

dorapeppageorgenoddy Fri 01-Feb-13 18:21:36

We pay £10 an hr and our nanny does light household duties basically when the toddler sleeps but they are based around children's needs; children's washing, tidying kids rooms, children's food and she tidies the kitchen again mainly cause its her and the children that use it - she does out the Hoover over twice a week but again only in children's rooms and tv/playroom -

I think cleaning your house and things for you (your washing) should n't be a Nanny's job -

Have you looked at an au pair? To support the household jobs - like someone else said a nanny for your child and a cleaner once a week is probably the answer -

Good Nanny's are 10-12 an hr -

EldonAve Fri 01-Feb-13 18:25:41

You need to pay £10 - £12 a hr net

I don't think the domestic duties are the issue, just the low wage

fufulina Fri 01-Feb-13 18:28:38

We are paying £11 gross per hour for a four day week, forty hours. Our (lovely) nanny is not expected to do any cleaning or chores, other than dealing with toy mess and cooking mess made during her day. I have a cleaner, and me and dh deal with washing/ironing. I also organise food shopping and sort menu planning. We have two dds and one is out at preschool for 3 hours a day. Baby sleeps for 2-3 hours a day.

We offered the pay we did because we can afford it, and it gives us room for a pay rise and we can be generous with things like holiday allowance.

Definitely talk gross, not net. And in central london, you'd be looking at £10-£15 gross. But, as nanny nick advised me when I was looking, offer what you want to pay and see what happens. Which you've done, and it's not enough. So revise the pay, re advertise and see what happens.

fufulina Fri 01-Feb-13 18:29:42

Sorry, to clarify, we're in zone 2. Finsbury park, so pretty central.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now