This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

what do you do when they are too old for afterschool club but not old enough to be by themself?

(7 Posts)
badtemperedaldbitch Sat 02-Feb-13 21:20:28

I am unusual in my area no cm work weekends either!

sausagesandwich34 Sat 02-Feb-13 21:13:49

Unfortunately I can't find a childminder that works after 5.30
They used to go to a childminder but she stopped when her youngest went to high school
There are childminders in my area that only work until 4.30 -cant see the point in that really

badtemperedaldbitch Sat 02-Feb-13 20:27:41

i have older ones with me... My 11year old mindee has just left and i had a 9 year old mindee earlier today.

we have been bowling, to the local shops. the kids have been playing out, and to the park closeby. However this is with the parents permission. we have agreed a service whereby she isn't being babied.... there is just a responsible adult around just as thier mum would be if she were at home.

we do baking, homework, art ( we made mummies out of paper mulch) anything they want to do... if they need my help..i help... if not i'm merely supervising!

Why not compromise and say asc til easter then we'll have a go at being independent from then. Obvs you will need to have a plan in case of emergencies - friendly neighbour for eg, and ensure no cooking undertaken. Lighter nights will mean she's not trying home alone in the dark, by autumn you'll be blithe.

sausagesandwich34 Thu 31-Jan-13 18:37:25

she will be coming home by herself in september but wont get in until 5pm so it's not as long

in the summer I have said when I'm on an early shift and get home at 4.30 she can come back by herself but I think she's still a bit too young yet

Floralnomad Thu 31-Jan-13 18:35:09

What do you plan to do with her when she changes school in September ? If you're plan then is to let her go home and get on with her homework perhaps you could just introduce that early. Do you have a neighbour that she could call on if there was a problem?

sausagesandwich34 Thu 31-Jan-13 18:30:43

dd11 is too old for afterschool club

she's bored and is starting to play up

they take from age 3 upwards and there is a group of yr 6 that are going stir crazy

I've obviously dealt with her behaviour but I can see her point

however I don't get home until 5.45 so I'm not happy with her coming home from school and being by herself for that length of time

any suggestions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now