Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Please share you tips on managing your time

(10 Posts)
MUM2BLESS Thu 31-Jan-13 10:38:21

2013 has been a very busy year so far. I am looking at ways in which I can do better as a mum and also as a cm.

How do you keep on top of things?

I have four of my own and cm 6 in term time and one who comes only in the hols .

How do you manage paper work, house hold chores, take time out for yourself?

Do you go to bed early and rise early or go to bed late and get up shattered?

I also walk as I am not driving at present.

I would love to take some time off without cm and not do any cm related stuff but as present it has to be done.

I sometimes think about fostering instead....

I am still learning. Talk to me cm's........ Thanks.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Thu 31-Jan-13 10:51:52

I've heard brilliant things about baby days system for paperwork so am going to give it a go.

I'm usually in bed for 8pm! Dp goes at 5 so I usually get woken by his alarm but get up at 7 to start at 8.

nannynick Thu 31-Jan-13 12:09:18

I have been up for about 40 minutes and I'm still shattered. Today will be a lazy day, not doing any work.

I am far more organised at work, getting up before dawn and working up to a 12 hour shift. I find it easier to get as much as I can ready for the day between 7am-8am when the children are having breakfast - such as packing swimming bags for swim lessons (even easier if they are packed a few days in advance), making sandwiches, that sort of thing.

Keeping on top of the washing is always fun... often try to get a wash load in first thing, then another in later in the day.

After work I aim to go to the health club, either to do a class or just to sit in the spa pool and sauna to wind down. Not having children of my own is an advantage, as is being a nanny rather than a childminder as when I leave work the time is then mine.

MUM2BLESS Thu 31-Jan-13 13:40:21

Twinklestarstwinklestars 8pm to bed, wow. Is everything super clean in your house before you retire to bed?

nannynick what hours do you work? Do you do weekends? How many do you care for? Sorry about the questions......

I need to just leave everything when it comes to a certain time. Get a good rest then raise early feeling as though I have slept.

Taking time out for yourself is vital. I must admit I am not use to doing that. Willing to learn though!!!!!!! My kids are 17 14 11 and 8. Still learning to step back and let them do certain things for themselves. We opearate a rota for washing up.

Keep the comments rolling in, I am sure we can learn from each other.

nannynick Thu 31-Jan-13 13:43:11

40 hours a week, not contracted to work weekends though if I were asked to do so I might, I'm flexible these days - been with my employer for many years now. 3 children, 2-8 yrs.

MUM2BLESS Thu 31-Jan-13 13:57:02

Thanks.
Do you do any paper work? do you have to do tax return

nannynick Thu 31-Jan-13 15:30:36

As a nanny I am an employee and paid via the PAYE system.

No paperwork as a nanny even with Ofsted registration, though I suppose I have a bit like keeping a log of mileage done.

I suppose that's a difference between Nannies and Childminders, as a nanny I don't have to do daily diary if my employer does not want me to do so.

MUM2BLESS Fri 01-Feb-13 09:57:28

Thanks Nannynick

HSMM Fri 01-Feb-13 15:10:50

Can you tell ... CMs don't manage their time grin

HSMM Fri 01-Feb-13 15:11:48

I go to bed early and catch up first thing in the morning. DH is the opposite and would rather work late a night.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now