Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Would you look down on a parent who sent their dc to you when they were....

(35 Posts)
MortifiedAdams Wed 30-Jan-13 03:42:19

off woek due to being unwell?
Im too.ill to work tomorrow, but wont be able.to fully rest up with 1.1yo DD here.

CM was supposed to have her tomorrow afternoon, would she be hmm if I dropped her off as usual.only crawl straight back to bed?

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 30-Jan-13 23:12:15

You pay your cm so none of her business what you do when she has your dd

Hope you feel better soon smile

gourd Thu 31-Jan-13 13:34:07

Eh? How can you look after a toddler if you are so sick you cant go to work? I had to leave our LO at CMS on two days when I was really ill. I could hardly get out of bed, was shaking and feverish, ached all over. Simply awful. I’d have taken the full week off work but I had no cover at work so, as I only work four days per week, I struggled in on the third day, felt awful all day, made loads of mistakes but felt I had no choice. I was however extremely grateful that having LO at the CMs all day meant I could actually rest in bed all day on the two days I did take off work. Without having had proper bed-rest it'd have been absolutely impossible for me to go to work on the third day but there was an urgent thing I needed to do and had no cover for. As it was I was able to give the little energy I had to my LO in the evenings having had bed-rest rest during the day. I also think my child would’ve been a lot more likely to catch my bug had I spent those two days with her - and she didn’t get it, so neither did any of the CMs other kids..

Trazzletoes Bosnia-Herzegovina Thu 31-Jan-13 13:36:12

My DD is at nursery. I am at home (looking after poorly DS but that's by the by).

None of their business.

Eglantyne Thu 31-Jan-13 13:40:32

Not at all. My lovely former cm once took dd for us when dh and I were both ill, when it wasn't even her day to go there. In fact, she doesn't drive, and even got her dh to drive her round in their car to collect dd. We have no family nearby, and she was an amazing help.

Groovee Uruguay Thu 31-Jan-13 14:01:29

My childminder has been a godsend when I've been ill. She was a star when dh turned up one morning with 2 shocked children cos mummy was rushed to hospital.

Anyone who judges a sick parent ensuring their child is cared for carefully and properly need a good look at themselves.

embot1000 Thu 31-Jan-13 22:00:10

you have paid for the session regardless so you should take her. i am a cm and the parents of the child i look after were sick last week and i offered to have her for longer so they could rest more. personally i also believe that we are not here to just have your children whist you work but also if you need to go to any other types of appointments, shopping etc. what you do is up to you as long as your children are happy and you pay for the sessions its no questions asked. xx

PartTimeModel Thu 31-Jan-13 22:05:18

Of course not. I've done that many times. It's fantastic! Hope you are feeling better soon.

Becp Fri 01-Feb-13 15:56:27

No I wouldn't mind, parents are entitled to some child free time whether it's due to illness, appointments or just to have a morning on the sofa playing a ps3 lol Hope you're better soon x

Tanith Sat 02-Feb-13 00:00:58

Not at all. Why would we look down on you? You can't help being ill. I'd probably offer to collect and drop-off and keep for extra time.

I reserve my contempt for those who knowingly send their sick child.

Nova26 Sat 02-Feb-13 12:24:35

She wouldnt care at all!
I am a childminder and If I am scheduled to have children here then thats all I need to worry about , what the parents do is none of my business, and they regulary drop them to go for hair appointments or coffee with friends, but that is not my concern once I am being paid for a job I do that job and the rest is not my business!
Rest up and hope you feel better soon....smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now