This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Would you look down on a parent who sent their dc to you when they were....

(35 Posts)
MortifiedAdams Wed 30-Jan-13 03:42:19

off woek due to being unwell?
Im too.ill to work tomorrow, but wont be able.to fully rest up with 1.1yo DD here.

CM was supposed to have her tomorrow afternoon, would she be hmm if I dropped her off as usual.only crawl straight back to bed?

Tortoiseonthehalfshell Wed 30-Jan-13 03:52:58

I'm not a CM, but I'd be pretty unimpressed with one who judged that! You're too ill to work and you're too ill to look after your very young child. What is this ridiculous rhetoric that a mum can never take time to look after her own basic health about?

MollyMurphy Wed 30-Jan-13 04:05:06

no, nor would I judge if she sent them so she could clean the house, go for a massage or otherwise have one whole rare day to herself. Besides, you pay her - its really not her business.

Feel better OP!

ZuleikaD Wed 30-Jan-13 05:59:23

Of course not!

TwoKidsAndCounting Wed 30-Jan-13 06:08:00

No I'm not sure anyone in their right mind would!

Fightlikeagirl Wed 30-Jan-13 06:19:02

Of course your childminder won't mind. Quite often one of my mindees parents will be off work and they use that time to catch up with stuff around the house, go shopping or rest!
As long as they keep their mobile on so I could contact in an emergency, they pay me and collect on time then I really don't mind what the parents are doing.
Feel better soon.

PseudoBadger Wed 30-Jan-13 06:27:30

Exactly, you pay her. I've been off work for eight weeks now and DS has gone to his CM on his allotted days blush

No

Twinklestarstwinklestars Wed 30-Jan-13 07:25:49

No, I wouldn't be impressed if your dc were ill too and you tried to send them but if they're fine then why would she judge?

BeaWheesht Wed 30-Jan-13 07:32:38

I'm not a childminder, I'm a sahm but when I've been ill I've often wished for the option of a childminder to give me some peace - go for it!

mindingalongtime Wed 30-Jan-13 07:40:23

Not at all, you choose to use your childcare how you wish, I have parents send their children all the time when they are not working, what business is it of mine what they do whilst their child is with me? Get better soon!

bigkidsdidit Wed 30-Jan-13 07:43:37

Why would you even tell her?

Once a month I take a day's annual leave and still put DS with the CM, I use te time to do all the house jobs that build up or batch cook or do my Christmas shopping, whatever. I don't tell her!

tiffinbaker Wed 30-Jan-13 07:44:58

Of course your DD should go to the CM - you won't get better if you don't rest and look after yourself, and the CM gets paid to look after your DD to give you time to do other things - if one of those things is getting some sleep then that's FINE.

HSMM Wed 30-Jan-13 07:46:13

Parents can do whatever they like while their children are with me. Why ever not?

MortifiedAdams Wed 30-Jan-13 07:48:56

Thanks everyone. She was supposed to be there a half day this afternoon, CM is now going to pick her up this morning and take her to a toddler group and said I can pick her up anytime this afternoon, even if after tea. What a star!

Needed to tell her as I would have dropped her off in my pjs slouchies looking like shite so dhe would have guessed anyways.

Mogandme Wed 30-Jan-13 09:14:16

I am a nanny and I am paid to work 50 hours a week - so I do; if my boss wants to spend that time in bed/down the pub/at the spa/at work - it doesn't bother me I am there to provide care when they are not there.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Wed 30-Jan-13 11:08:47

You should tell them though, I had one not tell me she was off work and we had an emergency and I couldn't contact her as she didn't have a mobile on her where she was. I rang work and they told me she was off so its important in case they need to contact you.

fraktion Wed 30-Jan-13 11:29:22

Nope. I've been off with exhaustion. DS went to childcare because he point was for me to rest!

lechatnoir Wed 30-Jan-13 12:47:38

No I definitely wouldn't & it sounds like yours doesn't either. I offered some extra hours to one of my mum's a few weeks ago as she's pregnant & suffering & thought she might want a bit of me time on her days off work and she was delighted to take me up on the offer.

ScaredySquirrel Wed 30-Jan-13 12:50:34

I'm at home ill (eye infection) and my dd has gone to the CM. I could look after her but I'm taking advantage of a quiet day. (I had her at home yesterday with me!).

I'm well enough to have her with me, but am trying to do a bit of work at home today (failing obviously given that I'm on MN) in short bursts.

I think you're fine given that you are ill enough to go to bed unlike me who is just skiving a bit

HSMM Wed 30-Jan-13 16:44:30

I really don't know why people are worried about this. I told all the parents who had early finishes over Christmas to use the time to shop, cook, or whatever they needed. They were paying me, so they might as well make the most of the time. Illness is even more of a reason to take a break.

thebody Wed 30-Jan-13 17:22:49

Of course not, I wouldn't have cared if my parents spent the off time Cottaging!! Ha ha as long as I was paid!!

Hope you get well soon.

BertieBotts Wed 30-Jan-13 17:26:39

I always send my DS to the childminder if I'm off work sick! smile

PuppyMonkey Wed 30-Jan-13 17:30:50

Well, I'm sure she would've charged you anyway if you had kept your child at home with you so why on earth wouldn't you send her?smile

calmlychaotic Wed 30-Jan-13 20:00:57

bless you, you are lovely for even thinking of it, your cm is lucky to have you!! hope you are better soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now