Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

childminder versus nursery?

(55 Posts)
noodlesmummy Tue 29-Jan-13 17:33:30

does anyone have any tips on childminder as opposed to nursery. first baby and due to go back to work in a few months when she is 1. i dont work locally or have any family near.....

Tanith Thu 31-Jan-13 21:22:41

Thunksheadonthetable: Merely trying to show that your post regarding potentially fatal car accidents and demon-driver childminders is irrelevant and pointless.

thunksheadontable Thu 31-Jan-13 21:36:58

Yes, irrelevant and pointless - as opposed to citing the dangers of choking in Wendy Houses, which started that part of the discussion. Your rudeness is quite telling, I think.

thunksheadontable Thu 31-Jan-13 21:38:53

I presume this is the "irrelevant" and "pointless" post you are referring to?
"If you are going to go with extreme Wendy house choking examples, the chances of your child being killed in a car accident are higher at cm' s but still improbable." Doesn't really fit with your argument there, Tanith.

housesalehelp Thu 31-Jan-13 21:40:10

honestly go and see both - for me CM more flexiable, cheaper and suited my DCs very well indeed - no problems with sickness and holiday were booked well in advance - but I think once you have visited a few of both you will get a feel for what is going to work for you

Wishihadabs Thu 31-Jan-13 23:08:06

I have used all 3 types of childcare. (Nanny, cm and nursery) for very young dcs. I think it depends on what's available locally. When I returned to work with Ds I visited 2 nurseries, interviewed a nanny and met 2 cms. At that time the cm was by far the best choice, her flat was clean and bright she had the most wonderful selection of toys and most importantly she interacted with Ds really well. I thought the nanny was only in it for the money and the nurseries felt crowded and institutional.

When dd came along I had changed my job and there was a lovely, subsidized purposeBbuilt creche on site. I accept what people say about non-verbal children, but dd (aged 5 months ) would smile and laugh as we approached the building then put her arms out for her carer. For us that was a great choice.

Sadly I was made redundant and we had to move, then having 2 under 4 I used a nanny. So I would say there is no best. Only what is best at that time out of what is available.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now