This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Napping at CMs

(18 Posts)

CM has a general routine of mindees napping in their buggy, in a off-shot bit of her main room
Bright and open to noise.and seems to have worked OK for other mindees but DD is just doing odd 20min naps there. At home, she will sleep for around three hours in the day (one 2hr nap and another 1 hr one), but at CMs she only ever has about twenty.mins at a time.

CM says its because this and that going.on around her (other parents picking up dcs, friends popping in for cuppas etc).

I need dd to have better naps! Its affecting her bedtime sleeps.and her general demeanour.

Can I ask insist she finds somewhere dark.and quiet for her naps?

DD is 1.1 btw

MaryPoppinsBag Tue 29-Jan-13 06:46:47

You can definitely ask her.
I took my children's naps quite seriously when they were babies. They always napped in their room. I can't understand why you wouldn't put them to sleep away from the hustle bustle of the house. It meant longer sleeps IMO and a little bit of me time after chores.

So I would totally get where you are coming from. And would be more than willing to listen to you (you wouldn't have had to ask me though as my little ones sleep in my quiet living room with the blinds shut.)

DorsetLass Tue 29-Jan-13 06:53:22

Poor you as you probably are suffering with a tired child!

I think you have every right to ask - I have had similar problems but with nursery. When they move out of baby room thu all sleep on matts together and sleep diminished. Nursery Did everything they could to help - you do after all pay for the CM - they are not l

DorsetLass Tue 29-Jan-13 06:54:39

Poor you as you probably are suffering with a tired child! We also take naps quite seriously.

I think you have every right to ask - I have had similar problems but with nursery. When they move out of baby room thu all sleep on matts together and sleep diminished. Nursery Did everything they could to help - you do after all pay for the CM - they are not doing it as a favour to you!

Littlefish Tue 29-Jan-13 07:00:23

I moved dd from her first childminder. Dd just would not sleep (aged 10 months), despite sleeping well at home. It transpired that in spite of saying that dd would be put for naps in a quiet, dark room, the childminder was putting her in a room without curtains, where other children were roaming around, so of course she wouldn't sleep. This meant that she was inconsolable by the end of the day, just when the childminder was trying to cook for the older children.

We moved to a new childminder who was brilliant and had dd napping almost immediately.

goldie81 Tue 29-Jan-13 07:01:31

I am a minder and before taking on my present two babies they've always slept upstairs in travel cots. However both of these parents wanted these babies to sleep in buggies for their naps. They are now in such a great routine that they will sleep side by side in double buggy for two hrs or more!
As a minder I would be more than happy to follow your wishes and you only need to explain to your cm. Sleep is so important for them ESP as rest of day is very full on

I agree with the others and as a cm I have had children in a bedroom in travel for for naps and also those that nap in buggies. However, I'm not sure i could accommodate a 2hr and then a 1 hr nap in travel cot, we have a routine where we are out all morning and come home for lunch and naps, I just couldn't fit that time in around activities and school.

ZuleikaD Tue 29-Jan-13 07:45:32

I wouldn't be too bothered about the darkness element - in the long run it's a good thing if they can sleep in a light room - but the coming and going is obviously disturbing your daughter and you are of course entitled to ask the CM if she can sleep in a cot somewhere different. My 14mo mindee has a dark room at home but sleeps perfectly well in a light room at my house. However, I would not take on a mindee whose routine I couldn't accommodate within my own. If your minder can't fit your DD's routine into her day then you may be better off looking for a different CM.

She could definetly accomodate the afternoon longer one as all their clubs and groups are AM ones, and she will soon be outgrowing the.morning one.

She sleeps in her buggy at home too, but our house is quiet and her room dark.

I know I.need to tackle her naps at home, but will just have to talk to CM as she is there 2.5/3 days per week too.

ReetPetit Tue 29-Jan-13 15:36:55

it sounds like she's not really putting your dd's needs first but expecting her to 'slot in' which in some circumstances would be fine but clearly isn't working for your dd.
Personally, I use a travel cot in a dark room as I find the children sleep better (better for children,parents,and me!) I do know some cms who use buggies but this isn't good practice really and especially not in a bright and noisy room.
I think it's fine to say could she try to put her down in a cot in a dark room and if not could she perhaps move her buggy somewhere darker and quieter - not rocket science but could perhaps make a difference to your dd and shouldn't cause the cm too much hassle. Surprised she hasn't already thought of it herself really confused

lechatnoir Tue 29-Jan-13 18:17:27

I'd be amazed if she wouldn't prefer your LO to have a 2 hour sleep & at least give a cot upstairs a try. I love those rare occasions when I have 2 hours to myself with sleeping baby/babies upstairs grin

I agree. A good gap of time for her. Also, she minds a 2.5yo who doesnt nap and likes to play Lego/Playmobil both of which she cant really do with dd around as shes still wanting to put them in her mouth. This would give them some decent Lego/Playmobil playtime.

I agree. A good gap of time for her. Also, she minds a 2.5yo who doesnt nap and likes to play Lego/Playmobil both of which she cant really do with dd around as shes still wanting to put them in her mouth. This would give them some decent Lego/Playmobil playtime.

doughnut44 Tue 29-Jan-13 22:34:12

Did you discuss sleep when you first went to see your CM? It is something I always discuss with new/prospective parents. I also have a sleep policy stating where I would expect the children to sleep.
If a parent requires somewhere different I would try to accommodate them but I wouldn't for instance be able to put them upstairs to sleep as I do not have minded children upstairs.
Also if any of my parents insisted on me doing something that I hadn't agreed to when I started minding, I would be terminating the contract.

Iggly Wed 30-Jan-13 19:30:59

I don't think napping in dark vs light matters because kids don't nap forever. And some people are light sleepers, some are not. Making them nap with loads of noise won't turn a light sleeper into a deeper one - it's just coincidence IMO.

Id move CM or ask her to use a snooze shade as a minimum.

sarahanneg Thu 31-Jan-13 21:43:30

Can I ask for the future, do childminders mind (can they manage with other kids cos don't know if I would) if 9 month old baby doesn't nap at all during day?

ReetPetit Thu 31-Jan-13 22:08:23

i wouldn't say i would mind, as such, but i do think 9 months is too young to go without a day sleep. Your baby must be very tired by the evening if s/he doesn't sleep at all?
Childminders are used to managing more than one child so that's not really an issue but it makes for a happier baby if they have a day sleep smile

spekulatius Fri 01-Feb-13 01:03:20

I agree. Wish she would sleep. Even now at ten weeks only has 10-15 min sleep during feeding but is very happy and content, doesn't really get over tired and sleeps 10 hours straight during night. Can't complain!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now