Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

CM vs Just doing a friend a favour

(16 Posts)
Blondeshavemorefun Tue 29-Jan-13 15:27:09

i would like to be paid in sb vouchers grin

def not illegal - tbh its more of a playdate as less then an hour

MrAnchovy Tue 29-Jan-13 15:21:25

No, you can look after the girls for up to 2 hours a day whether you charge for it or not.

If you are only paid in the form of goods or services you can look after them for any amount of time.

Arcadie Tue 29-Jan-13 15:00:57

OK So my reading of Nannynick's legislation is that I can look after the girls for fewer than 2 hours a night provided I'm NOT charging for it, but that payment could be made in the form of goods or services - ie my much coveted starbucks card. Sweet!

ZuleikaD Tue 29-Jan-13 07:49:38

Yes, you're fine if it's under two hours - for exactly this sort of arrangement!

anothershittynickname Tue 29-Jan-13 00:11:11

It is not illegal if its under 2 hours.

nannynick Mon 28-Jan-13 23:08:39

The other useful legislation is The Childcare (Exemptions from Registration) Order 2010 which is about caring for friends children.

nannynick Mon 28-Jan-13 23:02:40

Yes, it's in the The Childcare (Exemptions from Registration) Order 2008 under Exempt Childminding.

Arcadie Mon 28-Jan-13 22:46:44

Well an extensive search of the ChildCare Act 2006 seems to agree with you Fight. Maybe my lovely DH might get his own way after all!

Fightlikeagirl Mon 28-Jan-13 22:21:00

You'd have to double check but I'm sure you can get paid for up 2 hours a day without registering as cm

Arcadie Mon 28-Jan-13 22:08:49

Probably yes. Does that make a difference?

nannynick Mon 28-Jan-13 22:03:18

Would it ALWAYS be for less than two hours?

Arcadie Mon 28-Jan-13 21:59:10

Doublecake I'd be more tempted by that - I certainly don't want to take her money but the occasional nice gesture in return would be appreciated if not expected.

Redandwhite that's the bit that stops me - it is illegal isn't it? And no - I'm not looking to go down the PLI/ training / Ofstedding bit. Not to say I wouldn't EVER consider registering but it's not something I want for my family yet. (still have a preschooler too). So it's do it free, as a favour, and perhaps occasionally suggest a contribution towards food.

doublecakeplease Mon 28-Jan-13 21:55:34

P.s - do explain that if you are on holiday / ill / otherwise engaged then obviously she'll have to make other arrangements so there's no friction etc

redandwhitesprinkles Mon 28-Jan-13 21:55:15

It is illegal. However, if it is only temporary until she finds an alternative could she not cover costs? Buy you Starbucks vouchers? I would be tempted but you wouldn't be insured.

Could she pay you in babysitting or food? In theory, you could have her kids for tea once a week and she buys tea (and other stuff).

doublecakeplease Mon 28-Jan-13 21:53:48

Could she buy you a Starbucks card and top it up?? No money exchanging hands and everyone is happy :-)

Arcadie Mon 28-Jan-13 21:51:24

Have just been asked today if I'd pick up 2 sisters from my DCs school one night a week and keep them at my house for an hour or so. The younger is in my DDs class and is her very good friend. Her Mum is LOVELY and feeling terrible about having to ask this as a favour so is wanting to pay for my time. My understanding is that any money I accept as payment for this constitutes some form of contract and that really I would have to be a registered childminder.

I'm fairly happy to do it free of charge as a favour. DH (who supports my Starbucks habit and SAHMing) would prefer some remuneration for my time! I've told him I'll look into it - but it seems like accepting cash changes the rules and I don't want to do anything "not by the books".

NB She's tried local CMs but they're all full as is the after school club - so I'm not undercutting local businesses.

Any thoughts?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now