This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

How to get a good PT nanny

(20 Posts)
skaen Thu 07-Feb-13 08:43:53

I recommend childcare.co.uk as the filters work really well and although you have to pay, it's only usually one or two payments until you find someone.

Also we've only ever had nannies with their own children (not selected on that basis) and it has been great. The children all play together and needs are dealt with on an urgency basis!

You haven't left it too late, quite early actually! I found my two jobs a week before I started one and a month before the other. (one two days and the other three)

Did you sign up to childcare? As I paid for it as a nanny and contracted every family in my area looking for a nanny when I was looking so it might be worth having a profile just in case

Lostonthemoors Mon 04-Feb-13 21:02:59

Bump - aargh - still haven't found anyone though we are interviewing two candidates who sound good.

We have to have someone by the first week of April - please tell me I haven't left it too late!

Lostonthemoors Fri 01-Feb-13 22:18:19

Have sent you a pm tinkerbella

Tinkerbella23 Fri 01-Feb-13 21:33:24

Hi where are you based!i also am a nanny and looking for part time work? X

Lostonthemoors Fri 25-Jan-13 10:11:43

Shame Bubba!

Lostonthemoors Fri 25-Jan-13 07:52:35

Hi wicked, got it thank you - shame areas don't match!

Bubba - just sent you a pm. You never know!

wickedwitchofwaterloo Thu 24-Jan-13 22:45:45

Hi Lost! I tried to reply but I don't think it's gone through as on my phone.
But you are right, which is a shame hmm Best of luck with your search! x

Bubbabug Thu 24-Jan-13 22:34:29

I am currently looking for a p/t nanny job. Where are you based?

Lostonthemoors Thu 24-Jan-13 17:23:37

Wicked I've sent you a pm!

wickedwitchofwaterloo Thu 24-Jan-13 15:24:54

Hi! What area are you in? I'm a nanny that would be interested in this :-)

Lostonthemoors Thu 24-Jan-13 12:10:26

Ah right - hadn't realised that about Childcare. Maybe I'll stick an ad on myself, then.

sleeplessinderbyshire Wed 23-Jan-13 22:10:48

childcare is a pain as you have to pay to respond to their adverts, I'd start with gumtree as it is free and place an advert there. I advertsied on nannyjob, childcare, netmums, mumsnet local, gumtree, findababysitter. Had lots of responses on findababysitter but 2 weeks after I'd already appointed. I haven't looked at their CVs as I'd have to pay to get into that bit of the site (your advert is free)

Lostonthemoors Wed 23-Jan-13 15:29:07

So gumtree and Childcare.co.uk could be the way to go!

Is it worth me advertising myself on Childcare/gumtree, or am I just better answering other people's adverts?

sleeplessinderbyshire Wed 23-Jan-13 13:38:00

she had an enhanced crb from Nov 2013 from a care agency she was doing temp work for and I have taken on trust that she has not done anything awful in the month between that and me hiring her

Lostonthemoors Wed 23-Jan-13 06:35:01

sleepless, that's another excellent idea.

Can I get a crb check for candidates?

sleeplessinderbyshire Tue 22-Jan-13 21:58:26

we found someone using gumtree to do 2 afternoons a week. she collects both from nursery at 1pm and looks after them at home/takes to softplay/park etc. She's older, has a grown up family and had loads of appropriate transferable experience as a live in carer for people with learning disabilities but hadn't been a nanny before. 3 weeks in and my elder DD absolutely loves her, the baby is settled with her and I am very happy to come home to happy well fed bathed children and clean washing for the kids

Lostonthemoors Tue 22-Jan-13 21:43:34

Not just that is fab advice, thank you!

I'm a bit nervous about someone bringing their own child - do they not just focus on their own baby? Presumably a really good nanny would try to treat both equally.

I found mine on childcare.co.uk. Brilliant, bilingual, and totally marvellous in every way. The catch is she brings her daughter with her, which as it turned out, was no problem at all as my little one loves her. She does three days a week. When she started she also worked 2 days a week elsewhere, but quit it when we settled into our routine. Her reason was that she preferred my environment to the hectic pace of a nursery, and also wanted to spend one on one time with her own daughter. It took about three months to find her. The only sad thing is that she will be leaving us in a couple of months to have another baby of her own, but now mine is older a childminder might suit us more wink

Lostonthemoors Tue 22-Jan-13 21:16:59

We are thinking of hiring a nanny for our 18 month old DS - I work from home 2 mornings a week and them do one full day in the office.

Would this job appeal to a nanny even though it's so part time? If so how best to recruit and how long would it take?

Ideally I need someone to start in around 2 months from now.

My major worry is that we will get used as a stop gap by someone really wanting a ft job. Any way I can prevent that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now