This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Quick question. Cat jumped onto the kitchen surface and started eating some cold chicken. Advice needed.

(34 Posts)
MinkyRobot Tue 22-Jan-13 18:27:53

Ok.. So we have a FT Nanny. She isn't the best nanny but she isn't truly awful. The thing is.. she just doesn't seem to care that much. For example - and here's where I need a consensus:

This afternoon, after picking up the smallest from school, for a treat, we bought 3 cakes from the local cake shop. We left them on the kitchen table so the older 2 sisters could have a small bite after school and the rest after dinner. The nanny had taken some chicken out of the fridge, left it on the side, moved the cakes to the same area and then sat down to eat. "Imagine my surprise" when I came downstairs to see the cat merrily chomping on the chicken standing over the cakes.

Now I'm not prissy about eating food that's fallen on the floor (5 second rule etc) but I refuse to cook or eat anything that's been near an animal. So I screamed at the cat, throw the chicken and cakes into the compost and throw the cat out of the house and went back upstairs.

The nanny knows the cat likes jumping up on tables etc.

Inwardly, I feel the nanny should have taken far more care about food handling. What does the mumsnet public think? This is my first post so be gentle !!

kaybee75 Thu 24-Jan-13 23:53:19

I think you could probably have a word and tell her what happened but I wouldn't make a big deal of it - if you trust her with the welfare of your children then leaving some chicken out in the kitchen is really not a big issue.

ImNot40Yet Wed 23-Jan-13 15:35:22

Hmmm, I can see how that could be the case.. but nevertheless: one leftover fifth of the average chicken: er...£1.50? Annual salary for FT nanny: I am guessing £25,000? Value of hours per day 'worked' by a FT nanny with no charges from 8.30am-3pm: Blimey... my maths is rubbish but something like £18,000? I dunno, but you'll get the point...a nanny with a job like that would have time go and to buy pheasant from Fortnum and Mason and stuff eating her boss' chicken from the fridge. She could get the cat stuffed at the same time and stop the worktop issue too grin

Seriously, I was just thinking OP must have bigger issues with her nanny than the cat/cake/chicken thing...if the nanny is good with the DCs, then it doesn't seem at all important

LadyHarrietdeSpook Wed 23-Jan-13 14:58:23

I'mnot40
If William Hill were laying odds...I'd say that it's because it's bloody hard to find an after school only nanny so you can cut your childcare costs after the little ones have gone to school...many people end up keeping existing nannies on, esp if no space for an au pair and you work too late for CM (who normally finish around 6 pm.) DOesn't mean you're loaded.

ImNot40Yet Wed 23-Jan-13 13:50:24

OP, apologies if I have misunderstood something, but I am confused... and it makes me think there is much to this than the cat/cakes/chicken fiasco. You refer to 'picking up the smallest from school in the afternoon', so all children are at school all day? If money is as tight as you say it is, and obviously tight enough to make you cross about a bit of chicken going in the bin, why on earth do you have a FT nanny? What does she do all day? Sorry if a tangent, but I am genuinely interested [okay- nosey]

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 23-Jan-13 08:46:34

What are the little things she does that annoy you

Have you told her

Us nannies are pratically perfect (as Mary Poppins would say) smile but we are not mind readers so if there is something we do that our boss's don't like then please tell us so we can fix it if the request is not too pfb wink

BertieBotts Wed 23-Jan-13 07:59:42

Why does that mean she didn't care though? Sounds like she just didn't notice.

If it's part of an ongoing pattern of annoyances then perhaps worth thinking whether she's really a good fit for your family, but this on its own sounds like an oversight rather than anything more sinister.

greenbananas Wed 23-Jan-13 07:31:42

Not your nanny's fault, but she will hopefully be more cat aware in future.

I would have binned the cakes as well, because our cat is a dribbler [bleugh!]

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 23-Jan-13 00:22:14

Bertie - you don't know woofa - no training that dog to leave food grin

the things he ate 500g cheese - vension sausages - pork casserole - frozen chicken - pizza - bacon ........

Op - yes the nanny should have shooed cat off work-surfaces and not place food where the cat can get it - as should you smile

ZooAnimals Tue 22-Jan-13 21:56:14

'The nanny had taken some chicken out of the fridge, left it on the side, moved the cakes to the same area and then sat down to eat'

I don't understand this bit. Was she eating in the same room as the cat/chicken/cakes? Was she sat eating her lunch, watching the cat eat the chicken? Or had she gone out the room and then the cat had got up on the side without her knowing?

blondefriend Tue 22-Jan-13 21:30:35

Is it just me who would have checked for cat hair and ate them anyway?

MinkyRobot Tue 22-Jan-13 20:52:28

re: meat in a compost heap - this is just for vermin (foxes, rats etc) but all food goes into a rotating composter which is latched and has no access from the ground, by the time everything comes out ( in about two months) into yet another composting bin (but this one open to the ground + worms), it's in such a horrid state that nothing would touch it.

re: nanny - she's been working for us for over a year now ie She's not new. In another post I'll probably give a background to her. This may seem like a "little thing" but every week there is one more "little thing". The thing is, we're not nanny averse. In fact the last one we had was a genuine super nanny. The problem was she liked kids so much she went off and had one for herself (not one of ours I hasten to add).

It's not the "you shouldn't leave food out" for me as I know that, but it was the general just "I don't really care about the fact the cat was eating tomorrow's dinner" attitude about the nanny. What should I be expecting ?

ReetPetit Tue 22-Jan-13 20:10:06

don't stress it op! it's not your nanny's fault you have an unruly cat and you left your cakes on the kitchen table smile

nbee84 Tue 22-Jan-13 19:39:58

You say you left the cakes on the kitchen table - so you had left them out too. I realise you say nanny moved them and put them on the side with the chicken - but kitchen table/worktop - both left out. If you are the type that doesn't like animals near food (me too) then why have you not trained the cat not to climb on the tables or worktops - it can be done.

And am I the only one thinking "where was the nanny's cake?" grin

Umicar Tue 22-Jan-13 19:10:37

Not putting meat onto compost heaps is to do with Rats/Vermin isn't it?

LineRunner Tue 22-Jan-13 19:10:15

It was to the OP, Rooney, but yy to cats being cheeky. smile

They jump up. I think if a person has a thing about separating live animals from dead animals then maybe don't have a cat ... and if you do, you probabably have to chill out a bit, and possibly wash surfaces a lot if you think they are inherently unhygienic.

BertieBotts Tue 22-Jan-13 19:08:32

Yeah, I think the nanny probably isn't used to cats. Just explain to her not to leave food out in future.

With a dog for example they can be trained to leave food alone - cats can't and will go for stuff that they can smell or see. As a cat owner you get used to this and wouldn't leave the stuff where they could get to it. If you're not used to cats you wouldn't necessarily be aware of this - not her fault IMO. Of course if you've explained this and yet it keeps happening then it's fair enough to get annoyed.

Narked Tue 22-Jan-13 19:06:55

If you have a cat that goes onto the countertop and you're paranoid about food that's been near the cat, stop leaving food out yourself!

Marlinspike Tue 22-Jan-13 19:04:52

As a complete aside, you shouldn't put meat on a compost heap - actually I've no idea why, but that's what my Dad always told me, and he had an allotment and everything!

Umicar Tue 22-Jan-13 19:01:01

You could have cooked the chicken up for the cats dinner, would have saved wasting it?

NatashaBee Tue 22-Jan-13 19:00:52

I assume your nanny has never had a cat... if you are a cat owner it kind of becomes ingrained after a while that you need to make sure the front door is shut (ours are indoor cats and are not allowed out), that certain room doors are kept shut, that no food can be left on surfaces, etc - I wouldn't expect the nanny to instinctively know that. How long has she worked for you for?

I thought you couldn't put meat in the compost? confused

RooneyMara Tue 22-Jan-13 18:55:11

Oh I meant to say we got her when she was 5, she is just 14 now.

RooneyMara Tue 22-Jan-13 18:53:59

If that's to me Line, I have no idea smile

I suppose she used to behave a bit better, when we got her roughly 8 years ago...she's an old girl now and very cheeky. I couldn't get rid of her now. She's lovely really, just pushes a few buttons.

If I am careful it's not an issue. But I don't have a nanny to persuade to be careful too.

nextphase Tue 22-Jan-13 18:53:32

I think you need to explain to the Nanny re food hygiene and animals.
Personally I'd have binned the chicken, but not the cakes - but then I've got a cat who doesn't go on work surfaces, so maybe not the best to comment!

LineRunner Tue 22-Jan-13 18:51:32

Why do you have a cat?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now