Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Quick question. Cat jumped onto the kitchen surface and started eating some cold chicken. Advice needed.

(34 Posts)
MinkyRobot Tue 22-Jan-13 18:27:53

Ok.. So we have a FT Nanny. She isn't the best nanny but she isn't truly awful. The thing is.. she just doesn't seem to care that much. For example - and here's where I need a consensus:

This afternoon, after picking up the smallest from school, for a treat, we bought 3 cakes from the local cake shop. We left them on the kitchen table so the older 2 sisters could have a small bite after school and the rest after dinner. The nanny had taken some chicken out of the fridge, left it on the side, moved the cakes to the same area and then sat down to eat. "Imagine my surprise" when I came downstairs to see the cat merrily chomping on the chicken standing over the cakes.

Now I'm not prissy about eating food that's fallen on the floor (5 second rule etc) but I refuse to cook or eat anything that's been near an animal. So I screamed at the cat, throw the chicken and cakes into the compost and throw the cat out of the house and went back upstairs.

The nanny knows the cat likes jumping up on tables etc.

Inwardly, I feel the nanny should have taken far more care about food handling. What does the mumsnet public think? This is my first post so be gentle !!

ZooAnimals Tue 22-Jan-13 21:56:14

'The nanny had taken some chicken out of the fridge, left it on the side, moved the cakes to the same area and then sat down to eat'

I don't understand this bit. Was she eating in the same room as the cat/chicken/cakes? Was she sat eating her lunch, watching the cat eat the chicken? Or had she gone out the room and then the cat had got up on the side without her knowing?

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 23-Jan-13 00:22:14

Bertie - you don't know woofa - no training that dog to leave food grin

the things he ate 500g cheese - vension sausages - pork casserole - frozen chicken - pizza - bacon ........

Op - yes the nanny should have shooed cat off work-surfaces and not place food where the cat can get it - as should you smile

greenbananas Wed 23-Jan-13 07:31:42

Not your nanny's fault, but she will hopefully be more cat aware in future.

I would have binned the cakes as well, because our cat is a dribbler [bleugh!]

BertieBotts Wed 23-Jan-13 07:59:42

Why does that mean she didn't care though? Sounds like she just didn't notice.

If it's part of an ongoing pattern of annoyances then perhaps worth thinking whether she's really a good fit for your family, but this on its own sounds like an oversight rather than anything more sinister.

Blondeshavemorefun Wed 23-Jan-13 08:46:34

What are the little things she does that annoy you

Have you told her

Us nannies are pratically perfect (as Mary Poppins would say) smile but we are not mind readers so if there is something we do that our boss's don't like then please tell us so we can fix it if the request is not too pfb wink

ImNot40Yet Wed 23-Jan-13 13:50:24

OP, apologies if I have misunderstood something, but I am confused... and it makes me think there is much to this than the cat/cakes/chicken fiasco. You refer to 'picking up the smallest from school in the afternoon', so all children are at school all day? If money is as tight as you say it is, and obviously tight enough to make you cross about a bit of chicken going in the bin, why on earth do you have a FT nanny? What does she do all day? Sorry if a tangent, but I am genuinely interested [okay- nosey]

LadyHarrietdeSpook Wed 23-Jan-13 14:58:23

I'mnot40
If William Hill were laying odds...I'd say that it's because it's bloody hard to find an after school only nanny so you can cut your childcare costs after the little ones have gone to school...many people end up keeping existing nannies on, esp if no space for an au pair and you work too late for CM (who normally finish around 6 pm.) DOesn't mean you're loaded.

ImNot40Yet Wed 23-Jan-13 15:35:22

Hmmm, I can see how that could be the case.. but nevertheless: one leftover fifth of the average chicken: er...£1.50? Annual salary for FT nanny: I am guessing £25,000? Value of hours per day 'worked' by a FT nanny with no charges from 8.30am-3pm: Blimey... my maths is rubbish but something like £18,000? I dunno, but you'll get the point...a nanny with a job like that would have time go and to buy pheasant from Fortnum and Mason and stuff eating her boss' chicken from the fridge. She could get the cat stuffed at the same time and stop the worktop issue too grin

Seriously, I was just thinking OP must have bigger issues with her nanny than the cat/cake/chicken thing...if the nanny is good with the DCs, then it doesn't seem at all important

kaybee75 Thu 24-Jan-13 23:53:19

I think you could probably have a word and tell her what happened but I wouldn't make a big deal of it - if you trust her with the welfare of your children then leaving some chicken out in the kitchen is really not a big issue.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now