This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Going hourly rate for "borrowing" ; an au pair?

(8 Posts)
champagnesupernova Tue 22-Jan-13 17:33:41

Mate has a live in au pair and wants to "loan" her out to give her a bigger opportunity to meet people and top up pocket money (her DC are weekly boarders).
Am interested but rather broke.
We are 4 mins drive (rural) from the employer
We wouldn't be responsible for her car or anything - would jsut be topping up her spending money and I would want her to do some light duties in the house.
Any advice anyone?
TIA

Suggest minimum wage, or what you'd pay a babysitter.

champagnesupernova Tue 22-Jan-13 18:18:00

Thanks fedup

Do others agree?

fraktion Tue 22-Jan-13 18:28:44

It's a separate employment for the au pair so it needs to be minimum wage at least. Be careful, as you're also opening yourself up to being an employer of someone with another and therefore would have to register as an employer to operate PAYE etc in order to deduct the APs tax.

middleeasternpromise Tue 22-Jan-13 20:33:34

My last au pair was always asking for this as she did school runs for me and then was free once I was in and all weekend. She used to charge £10 for baby sitting and I think 20 for cleaning - I told her to undercut the going rate as she could do so due to not having to pay rent and board. She thought that was a good plan and met loads more people, had extra spends, was busy in her free time and just enjoyed doing different things. Always worth asking what the person is expecting as it saves there being a mismatch there which leads to bad feeling.

champagnesupernova Tue 22-Jan-13 21:06:45

MEP that's really interesting - are you in London? £10 for babysitting q a lot round here

Fraktion thanks for the heads up re tax etc - v helpful.

champagnesupernova Wed 23-Jan-13 00:18:22

Last ditch bump.

Runoutofideas Wed 23-Jan-13 09:37:05

£20 for cleaning is a lot too - I pay my cleaner £10 p h. I would expect to pay minimum wage or whatever babysitters or cleaners near you charge per hour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now