This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

My au pair is leaving, I'm happy for him but now I need to find another one <sigh>

(28 Posts)
bran Tue 22-Jan-13 12:38:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bran Sun 10-Feb-13 20:26:14

bran Tue 05-Feb-13 14:17:37

LadyHarrietdeSpook Tue 05-Feb-13 13:46:53

grin

loved the: "especially for a man" bit as well.

Callthemidlife Tue 05-Feb-13 13:26:00

Elsksling. You're so right. I often ask myself why I bothered having kids, what with all the pfaff that comes from farming them out to illiterate losers and all that. Good job I don't give a shit, else I'd really worry about treating them so bad.

My poor kids will no doubt grow up to be ignorant wankers with nasty minded judgemental opinions that they'll bandy about on the net because no-one talks to them in RL

There's a lot of it about, apparently.

bran Tue 05-Feb-13 12:52:22

fraktion Tue 05-Feb-13 09:50:04

biscuit

elskling Tue 05-Feb-13 01:09:17

I think its a shame for them, must be awful looking after someone elses children, especially for a man. I did it when I was 18 and it was great at the time as I got to travel. I couldnt ever leave my children with someone who didnt speak English and didnt have experience with children, certainly not a child on the autisitc spectrum. You are sort of exploiting their lousy financial situation by offering them the chance to learn english if they do run your home for a pittance. Thats one thing, but think of the poor children. Remember - nobody ever sat in a nursing home and wished they had spent less time with their children!

fraktion Mon 04-Feb-13 15:57:27

Hurrah for overqualified au pairs!

bran Sun 03-Feb-13 23:29:56

bran Thu 31-Jan-13 20:38:43

bran Thu 31-Jan-13 11:57:43

nosferatu Thu 31-Jan-13 09:10:00

That is good point- I went for a 20 year old but it makes sense what youa re saying.
I am a bit puzzled about health situation now- I registered my current au pair on our address but if most of them stay only for 6 months I can not do that with everyone. (she needed bank statement for it so we had to open that one first). On the other hand I want them to be covered. I do know that EU citizens are entitled to free health anyway, so i am tempted to leave it like that with my next au pair and if they are ill, they can go to A&E. What is your experience?

bran Wed 30-Jan-13 23:08:35

nosferatu Wed 30-Jan-13 22:46:33

good thinking. I went for German, she is brill, very responsible, but I may give it a go for Spain.

bran Wed 30-Jan-13 22:45:06

nosferatu Wed 30-Jan-13 22:25:40

where do you find guys with those fancy professions? All I had was A level leavers

bran Wed 30-Jan-13 21:16:58

nosferatu Wed 30-Jan-13 19:32:47

I paid AWP to create a profile and managed to find an au pair in 3 days ( and she is excellent) . i wanted a particular country, so it was easy. Mind you she is leaving in a month so I have to do it again, but I like the web site.

Callthemidlife Sun 27-Jan-13 07:28:27

FYI you can filter on APW. You do need to have a profile though (but you can put in the bare minimum of data). Setup your preferences on the profile, then click on easy find and it filters it all for you. I find it much better than the GAP filtering.

diamondsagirlsbestfriend Fri 25-Jan-13 22:08:58

heads up though is to check you messages regularly on a computer as a lot of them will go to your "others" message box which you cant see on phones.

bran Thu 24-Jan-13 10:05:02

diamondsagirlsbestfriend Thu 24-Jan-13 01:31:01

Where are you Bran, because alot of Major towns now have facebook pages, that have host families and au pairs on it a like, where it may be easier to find someone, as you just state what you require and you just have to read the msgs that you get, could be worth a try.

bran Wed 23-Jan-13 13:52:53

fraktion Tue 22-Jan-13 18:44:47

Gah pressed post. Anyway APs already in the country.

I feel your pain sad it's a hazard of good au pairs that they often want to do something else and sometimes opportunities come their way that they just can't miss.

fraktion Tue 22-Jan-13 18:42:57

Also give www.nannyjob.co.uk a shot. They sometimes have au pa

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now