This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nannies - advice on mum insisting small 4 year old doesn't need a CARSEAT

(87 Posts)
DillyDallyDayDream Mon 21-Jan-13 10:34:10

Mum and dad boss are both insisting that there ds does not need a CARSEAT when I take him out in the car. He is tiny for his age (more 3 year old size) so I'm sure he needs a car seat preferably a high back booster.

In result of them not supplying one I've stopped doing any extra activities with him after school that involve a car journey - which they are not happy about

What can I do to ensure they provide a CARSEAT?

DillyDallyDayDream Wed 23-Jan-13 18:40:33

Update
Managed to borrow a rear facing maxi cosi pebble for baby so he's sorted

I put 4 year old in a britax prince which he climbed out of,took 10 mins to get him back in just for him to do it again

cathpip Wed 23-Jan-13 18:47:47

Your boss'es need to have a word with mine, ones a hospital consultant and the other is a coroner, they could pass on some horrific stories about children not wearing seatbelts and not in correct carseats. How irresponsible of them...

sleeplessinderbyshire Wed 23-Jan-13 22:06:46

There's something called a houdini stop which is meant to be brilliant and keeping determined small people in a 5 point harness, might be worth a try...

homeaway Thu 24-Jan-13 16:10:52

You are doing the right thing, you have to be consistent and you will win, it will be hard but you will. My dd managed to houdini herself out of five point belt, it took a huge amount of determination on her part to do it but it can be done smile. We were parked at the time and were not moving as we were about to set off... but that same child eventually learnt that she did not get her way by undoing her belt . The child has to learn that when he is in your car he follows your rules and that means being strapped in. He will accept it eventually.

homeaway Thu 24-Jan-13 16:12:08

ps maybe showing him how nicely his sister is sitting in her seat might help and making up a sticker/ reward chart for him might work ?

BertieBotts Thu 24-Jan-13 22:46:13

It is very easy for a child to get themselves out of a 5 point harness if they want to, (they just need to suck in their tummy) so persuading them to stay in it is the key. I always have the rule with DS that if he doesn't have his seatbelt on properly then the car can't go. Or bribery can work wonders grin

MNPin2013 Thu 24-Jan-13 23:55:16

DillyDally you need a Kiddy Pro seat it is fitted with the adult seat belt but has a impact cushion that goes between child and belt and thus prevents child reaching the seat buckle!!!

DillyDallyDayDream Fri 25-Jan-13 17:53:24

Tried sticker chart - no luck
Tried bribery - no luck
Tried 5 point harness - he got out

Have told mum/dad that unless this issue is addressed I will not be taking either child out. Both children are now in correct carseats (at my expense)

BertieBotts Fri 25-Jan-13 18:11:35

I don't think OP needs to be buying anything else!

I think you'll just have to persevere with it OP sorry to say. It's a PITA that they've managed to convince their child that he doesn't need a car seat as it's something you'll have to work on the other way, but it is now just that - a discipline issue. Children do quickly understand that rules are different in different places, you just have to be firm with it.

You could try some way of fixing the straps together so that he can't open them (I've heard of reins on the child and car seat straps fastened underneath the reins so he can't get arms through) but bear in mind that adding things to the car seat straps (like a houdini stop or home made version) can put extra pressure on them and won't have been tested - possibly as a temporary deterrent, e.g. when he stops trying to escape then he can go in with the normal straps AND he's allowed to undo the buckle when you stop but not until you say - any transgression and the extra safety device has to go back on.

fieldfare Fri 25-Jan-13 18:22:27

Did you remove his outer coat and tighten the straps as much as possible? There are clips you can buy cheaply that attach to the shoulder straps and goes across their chest so that they are meant to be unable to pull their arms through.

fieldfare Fri 25-Jan-13 18:22:51

But that beside the issue that the parents are clearly irresponsible and terribly ignorant!

HSMM Fri 25-Jan-13 18:50:00

Firm and consistent and exciting places to go in the car. The child is hopefully old enough to understand that not cooperating means no exciting outing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now