This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Nannies - advice on mum insisting small 4 year old doesn't need a CARSEAT

(87 Posts)
DillyDallyDayDream Mon 21-Jan-13 10:34:10

Mum and dad boss are both insisting that there ds does not need a CARSEAT when I take him out in the car. He is tiny for his age (more 3 year old size) so I'm sure he needs a car seat preferably a high back booster.

In result of them not supplying one I've stopped doing any extra activities with him after school that involve a car journey - which they are not happy about

What can I do to ensure they provide a CARSEAT?

here car seat law.

Child need to 135cm or 12years before they do not need a car seat.

I would refuse to take the child in a car unless they have a car seat.

Flisspaps Mon 21-Jan-13 10:40:02

I would show them this and this

It's quite clear that the only time a child can travel without a car seat is in exceptional circumstances. Other than that, keep refusing to take him on any journeys requiring a car. As the driver, it is you who will be fined, not them!

DillyDallyDayDream Mon 21-Jan-13 10:41:35

I am refusing to as I know he needs one, they say he screams and has a tantrum when put in one.

Feel I should buy one so he doesn't miss out

NaturalBaby Mon 21-Jan-13 10:41:57

Government recommendations:"Children must use the correct car seat for their weight until they reach 135 centimetres tall or their 12th birthday, whichever is first."
The law on car seats: "It is the driver's legal responsibility to ensure that the child is correctly restrained."

Why on earth do they not want their child in a car seat?!

DillyDallyDayDream Mon 21-Jan-13 10:43:27

I think they think he's invincible to crashes etc, I've followed them before and he is not belted in and jumping around the car!

Flisspaps Mon 21-Jan-13 10:44:27

Oh well, avoiding a tantrum is clearly far more important than ensuring your child's safety hmm <aimed at the parents, not you OP!>

NaturalBaby Mon 21-Jan-13 10:45:08

Do they even put a seat belt on him?
They need to have words with a paramedic or police who have attended road traffic accidents where small children have been seriously injured to think about the consequences of their negligence.

DillyDallyDayDream Mon 21-Jan-13 10:46:29

Flisspaps It ridiculous! They recently took him on a 2 hour journey with out a CARSEAT - I know because it was one of the very very very rare occasions it was in my car!

noviceoftheday Mon 21-Jan-13 10:47:44

Words fail me. It's the law!!

DillyDallyDayDream Mon 21-Jan-13 10:48:06

Natural baby - I don't think they belt him in as when I've had him the car he refuses to wear one and if u put it on him he takes it off

BobbiFleckmann Mon 21-Jan-13 10:49:09

am not a nanny / cm, however that is so nuts that it would probably make me want to leave the job because it demonstrates that they're utterly certifiable.

Pourquoimoi Mon 21-Jan-13 10:50:11

If it stops you taking other children out I would tell them you can no longer take their dc unless they provide a car seat.

Tell them the law etc again and say you are unwilling to do anything illegal. They won't find another childminder willing to break the law as they may lose registration.

They can get a cheap car seat for less than the cost of a couple of days of childcare.

Some people really have NO sense! (Them, Not you!!)

DillyDallyDayDream Mon 21-Jan-13 10:50:15

I love my job and in every other way they are great employers. It's just the CARSEAT thing that annoys me

Xmaspuddingsaga Mon 21-Jan-13 10:50:34

Of course YANBU . Madness words fail me really.

Pourquoimoi Mon 21-Jan-13 10:51:44

So they have got a caraway?, they just don't use it or give it to you to use?

Pourquoimoi Mon 21-Jan-13 10:52:06

Autocorrect! I meant car seat!

yousankmybattleship Mon 21-Jan-13 10:52:44

They are mentalists. You have to refuse to take him in your car without a car seat. Hopefully if you make it inconvenient for them they might do the right thing and buy a car seat. Some parents just don't deserve to have children.

nannynick Mon 21-Jan-13 10:53:05

You as driver are responsible.
Is it your own car? Could you not buy a seat?

NaturalBaby Mon 21-Jan-13 10:54:53

If you drive past a car in public and a child is not restrained with a seatbelt - i.e breaking the law, can you phone the police? I've wondered when driving past obviously unrestrained kids before. I'd be very tempted if I knew a family that was doing this on a regular basis.

DillyDallyDayDream Mon 21-Jan-13 10:55:25

They have a carseat which is currently sat in the garage gathering dust!

Yes I use my car, I could buy one but feel I shouldn't have to as they should supply one

munchkinmaster Mon 21-Jan-13 10:55:45

You explain to your employers that as part of your job you will teach wee boy to sit in a car seat. Pitch it as a favour. I bet you can even hire one to convince them. I bet you will get him sitting in it (might not do it for mum and dad though but that's hardly your problem).

yousankmybattleship Mon 21-Jan-13 10:56:27

Can't you just take the carseat from the garage whenever you need it?

munchkinmaster Mon 21-Jan-13 10:56:38

Ah cross post - get it out the garage!

GrassIsntGreener Mon 21-Jan-13 10:57:00

Could you buy a car seat and file the receipt with them?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now