Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Fed up with working in nursery

(11 Posts)
npg1 Sat 26-Jan-13 14:44:31

Hi, just to update, I have got another child on board!! Startig in april so will hand in notice end of feb, bit worried because I dont know how she will react, or better still what im going to put in my letter.

I did think about speaking to HMRC and ofsted but if I did it after I left she would probably know its me!

Karoleann Mon 21-Jan-13 18:54:50

Ring up hmrc and report her - then leave.....there must be something better.

Dozer Mon 21-Jan-13 16:30:27

What she/you pay in tax has no bearing on your employment rights, the laws are different.

Dozer Mon 21-Jan-13 16:28:54

That sounds awful, poor you. If you can't go FT minding yet is there another nursery locally you could move to, with better management? Or even PT work outside childcare?

What she's doing re tax/employment rights is probably tax fraud, and under UK employment law you are legally entitled to holiday pay, statutory sick pay etc. being registered "self employed" for tax purposes doesn't make it so. But obviously pursuing this could be tricky while you're working there.

npg1 Sun 20-Jan-13 22:43:07

Its a nursery. I am a childminder part time from home.

ReetPetit Sun 20-Jan-13 22:31:11

what kind of nursery is it? is she a childminder with assistants or is it an actual nursery?

ZooAnimals Sun 20-Jan-13 22:29:39

I think that's probably illegal and she'll be hit with a big fine if she's reported, you should be ok. I think it's the employer who gets fined, not the employee.

ReetPetit Sun 20-Jan-13 22:29:16

sounds like you will be well out of it soon as you have a registered as a cm. once you have gone - report this woman if you think she is commiting fraud and also if you feel she is being neglectful/abusive to the children. if you really feel children are being 'picked on' you have a duty to report it asap.

npg1 Sun 20-Jan-13 22:24:24

God knows, she doesnt pay our NI, something about not being PAYE registered. When I was doing shorter hours it was a problem but then I uppd my hours and she told me I had to register as self employed.

ZooAnimals Sun 20-Jan-13 22:15:36

'I am employed yet ad to register as self employed'

How does that work?

npg1 Sun 20-Jan-13 22:08:55

Ok. So been working at a nursery for nearly 3 years. I am employed yet ad to register as self employed?! I dont think she runs it for her love of children, more for the money.

The parents get slated, some children I feel are picked on.....
I dnt get paid for illness. We finish work at 4pm yet by the time we have seen to all the parents and cleaned up its 4.30pm by the time I have left.

I have now registered as a childminder part time and really enjoy my job and love for children. I am slowly trying to build on this but its been hard.

Im not sure how much longer I can keep going at this place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now