This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Snow ideas

(7 Posts)
Welovecouscous Sun 20-Jan-13 17:15:43

Loads of good ideas here already!

Snow poems - read The More it Snows by AA Milne, then 7 year old can have a go at a snow poem. Maybe read a bit of the Snow Queen with the 7 year old as well.

Little one might like to do a snow related action song? To here we go round the mulberry bush, this is the way we walk in the snow (big exaggerated steps), this is the way we make a snowball (rolling snow action), this is the way we throw our snowball - throwing action.

Mogandme Sun 20-Jan-13 17:09:15

I would attempt to do your normal routine in the morning and then free play until 9ish - before maybe doing some baking; biscuits/fairy cakes; then head out into the snow and have a play; coming in about 10ish for hot chocolate and to eat the baked goods. Then free play for a while or maybe a craft activity. Do an early lunch for 12ish and then the 2 year old can go off for their nap, then when they're up again, have a warm snack before heading out for a walk around the block - maybe you can collect some snow to play with when you get home, Home for about 3ish for another warm hot chocolate and a film/some tv, then the whole after school routine you normally have.

??

pinknanny Sun 20-Jan-13 17:00:53

Snowmen
Sledging
Igloo
Snow angels
Paper snowflakes
Any craft activity
Put some snow it to large basin/tub indoors and allow kids to add colours, make snow shapes from different moulds around house.
Rice crispie cakes using white chocolate so like snow.
Filling balloons/ plastic gloves/tubs with coloured water once frozen remove baloons and put in snow, children can watch them melt, play with them etc.

1996timeforchange Sun 20-Jan-13 16:09:55

Glue, paint, glitter can last for ages!!!

laalala Sun 20-Jan-13 16:03:02

It's just those two, I'm a nanny maybe I worded that wrong to start with. So no water table or anything but the seeing how long it takes to melt is a good idea thanks.

Runoutofideas Sun 20-Jan-13 15:40:48

How many children have you got altogether? If there are a couple of older ones, I would send them outside with a beaker to collect snow, tell them to bring it in and have a competition to choose places in the house where it will take longest to melt. Estimate how long it will be before they have a beaker of water etc. For the little ones, I'd be tempted to fill the water table full of snow, with maybe a few drops of food colouring and let them investigate, or hid things in the snow for them to find.
Read snow related stories - make snowflakes out of cutting white paper - draw snowman pictures.... Doesn't have to all be snow related of course!

laalala Sun 20-Jan-13 10:27:04

So it looks like the schools are going to be closed here tomorrow due to the snow, so I'm looking for ideas to keep the kids entertained. The eldest is 7 and youngest 2. Can't spend too much time outdoors as the youngest is still in that falling over his own feet every 5 seconds fase, so he gets cold and fed up of snow quickly. I was thinking going out in the garden every so often, maybe some kind of baking activity. Any other good ideas?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now