This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Snow and work

(43 Posts)
Wickedgirl Sat 19-Jan-13 21:21:13

How many of you are nannies and have had to miss work because of snow?

I am due to work tomorrow and have a 40 mile journey into the countryside. I am tempted to ask for the day off. Should it be unpaid or taken out if my holiday allowance do you think?

chocchoc30 Sun 20-Jan-13 18:45:24

I'm 7 months Pregnant and had a text on Friday to say not to go in as they were worried about bump and I. Thankfully grandparents were staying so they could take charge. Where MB works there was no snow at all.

Booyhoo Sun 20-Jan-13 18:47:43

poor attitude reet?

as i said, maybe they needed to sleep. that requires someone to look after the children. pink would still have been needed to work. no change of plan on their part.

magicOC Sun 20-Jan-13 18:49:10

Zoo your last sentence hit the nail on the head.

We nannies (or most of us anyway) will always find our way in as we wouldn't want to inconvenience the employers if they needed to get on to work.

But... if they don't or won't make the journey due to risky weather conditions it is a little unfair not to give the nanny the option of not making the same risky journey. Works both ways IMO.

In some areas it was advised not to travelUunless absolutely necessary.

ReetPetit Sun 20-Jan-13 18:50:06

why would they need to sleep?? it would have been a normal work day had it not been for the snow hmm

Booyhoo Sun 20-Jan-13 19:01:30

you cant think why a person would need to sleep? really?

yes of course they would have been expected to work but given half the chance and childcare already sorted they would be doing nothing wrong in catching up in lost sleep.

are you saying people who use and pay for childcare on days they aren't in work for whatever reason are wrong to do that?

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Sun 20-Jan-13 19:07:16

I dunno, I think pink could equally have rung and said, "are you going into work today? It's going to be difficult for me to reach you but of course I will try if you need me."

ReetPetit Sun 20-Jan-13 19:10:05

yes, i think that is wrong when you know someone has struggled through adverse conditons thinking you 'need' them when in actual fact you are going back to.bed!! that is totally wrong imo

Agree with magic, Zoo's last sentence is what I would struggle to get to!

I would not be happy if my bosses decided to not commute because of the snow but expected me to. If they have decided that commuting is too dangerous for them then why is it not too dangerous for me? Thankfully my bosses are quite lovely in that respect!

ZooAnimals Sun 20-Jan-13 19:12:43

She could have done Doctrine, but really the parents made the decision not to got to work, it really wouldn't have been too much effort to pick up the phone and give her the option would it?

They changed the normal routine, they should have let her know. It's just polite.

ZooAnimals Sun 20-Jan-13 19:15:44

'are you saying people who use and pay for childcare on days they aren't in work for whatever reason are wrong to do that?'

I don't know if you've missed the bit about the snow? That's what we're all talking about. Not generally where childcare is used and the parents are not at work, just where it is very difficult for the nanny (or anyone) to get to work because of unusual or extreme conditions.

Booyhoo Sun 20-Jan-13 19:20:05

we'll have to agree to disagree.

magicOC Sun 20-Jan-13 19:21:05

I take it Boo isn't a nanny then? grin

ReetPetit Sun 20-Jan-13 19:29:19

grin

ZooAnimals Sun 20-Jan-13 19:30:00

and I hope she doesn't use one either!

blueshoes Sun 20-Jan-13 19:54:44

Pinknanny, if you only have to walk 1/2 hour to work in snow, I would not consider that particularly difficult. Perhaps your boss (erroneously, it turns out) did not expect you to turn up for work?

Blondeshavemorefun Sun 20-Jan-13 23:49:44

I work nights at the moment looking after 8week twins - have to say my journey to work tonight want great - main roads were snowy (but weren't this afternoon)

Parents are lovely and obv not at work at night and said not to come in if a risk to me but if I did get in they would appreciate it and yes my guys are in pjs and sleep grin but I knew that coz that why I'm here

As I'm self employed of I don't turn up at work I don't get paid

I totally see what pink is saying - a phone call from her boss saying we are not going into work so come an hour later would have been nice - an hour can make a huge difference in snow as gritters more then likely would have done the roads etc

My 15min journey took 35 mins - lets hope I can get home tomorrow morning ....... Here's hoping mr gritter will be out at 6.30am as snowing now at almost midnight and meant to freeze as well

PowerPants Mon 21-Jan-13 00:33:27

pinknanny - where I was confused is you suggesting what your employers might want to do on their snow day. All those jobs that need doing round the house....

girlsofsummer Mon 21-Jan-13 11:22:40

I am working from home today due to snow and my nanny has come and is still looking after smallest (at other house - nanny share, very close).

But I have said my older child (school closed) can potter around while I work.

Mind you we are not 40 miles away!

When I cant make it into work I might still need nanny so that I can work from home. But when I am not working at home and am home I ALWAYS tell her to go home, I find the idea of having a duvet day while somebody else looks after my kids utterly mental.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now