Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

CM club: quickly question about charging for extra activities

(21 Posts)
sweetestB Fri 18-Jan-13 12:23:01

Hi, I signed up the only child I look after to do a 2 day activity in a further away centre. The charge will be £1 for both days however my public transport cost will be £5.60 for both days. I'm yet to talk to parents about this but the child will benefit immensely for the activity. Should I ask parents for the whole costs and if they don't agree cancel the booking, or should I pay for the travel.?

ummm trying to be tactful here; why have you unilaterally signed a child up for an activity without consulting parents first?

Anyway. Can you put the costs through your books as an expense?

sweetestB Fri 18-Jan-13 13:31:40

Because as I said, the centre is further away and as I was there, I put child's name down to secure a place. This couldn't be done over the phone. There is an activity near my house on the same day and time, so I would be going to the other activity solely to benefit the child on his specific 'problem'. Plus to put such an small amount of money through my books seems a faff to me. Anyway, if parents don't agree I can always phone up and cancel, it's up to them.

minderjinx Fri 18-Jan-13 13:42:50

I include charges for groups, soft play and the like in my fees, and also transport costs. I do think it's my choice when and where we go (within reason obviously) and don't think it would be appropriate to consult about every single outing, but that's because I have to take into account the different needs and interests of a number of children and it would not be fair or practical to have parents opting in and out on a daily basis.

But I probably would consult if I was proposing doing something specific with only one child for two whole days, and I would certainly ask first if I expected parents to contribute financially.

minderjinx Fri 18-Jan-13 13:47:24

Cross posted there. If it's only a provisional booking and you can cancel if the parents aren't keen then I don't think you have a problem.

sweetestB Fri 18-Jan-13 13:47:45

All the activities I do are free and whitin walking distance, I don't drive. As I said I couldn't ask first, I needed to secure a place and I can cancel. It hasn't being paid for yet.

sweetestB Fri 18-Jan-13 13:52:40

I can always stick to my normal routine if the parents decide child won't benefit for the proposed activity. It is a 2, 5 hour activity on two days over two following weeks. I can't see why I should pay for it, but maybe this is me being tight?

Twinklestarstwinklestars Fri 18-Jan-13 14:00:01

I'm a cm and only ask parents if we're going in a big trip, if we go to toddlers etc I pay, and put it through my books. Each childminder is different though.

MrAnchovy Fri 18-Jan-13 14:44:36

Put it through your books whether the parent pays or not - if they pay then you need to include it in your income so you would pay tax on it if you didn't. The bonus is you get to include it in your calculation for 10% wear and tear.

As this appears to be something to benefit this particular child, rather than just part of your normal activity programme then yes of course you should ask the parents if they want you to do it, and if so then they should pay your travel costs as long as you let them know how much they are.

sweetestB Fri 18-Jan-13 15:22:31

Mr Anchovy, the dilemma is should I charge or not?

HSMM Fri 18-Jan-13 15:33:57

I would only charge if the parents had asked me to do it. (but I don't charge for any outings and would have asked them first - in which case they could pay)

HSMM Fri 18-Jan-13 15:34:40

That didn't make much sense!

My fee structure includes all outings I choose to take the children on.

Parents agree to pay for any regular organised activities, which they have signed up for.

MrAnchovy Fri 18-Jan-13 18:00:11

"Mr Anchovy, the dilemma is should I charge or not?"

Yes, but only if the parents agree.

MrAnchovy Fri 18-Jan-13 18:04:45

The key point here is this: "I would be going to the other activity solely to benefit the child on his specific 'problem'." - so presumably this is not just a regular outing.

But it should be up to the parents whether he goes, and they pay, or not. How you present this to them is important, you want them to feel pleased that you have shown initiative in finding an appropriate activity, not that they are being railroaded into something or guilty for not organising it themselves.

sweetestB Fri 18-Jan-13 19:26:50

I'm such a wimpy I will end up paying the transport fee myself. Dealing with the businesses side of CMinding is hard for me because we get to know the families jn such a perpersonal level. Also I feel I will benefit from the outing too in a sense of going out of the routine, meeting new people, doing something different, even though it is an activity totally directed to the child and the issue....

lisa1968 Fri 18-Jan-13 19:29:07

same as twinkle-I only ask parents to pay if its a 'bigger' activity; if I want a child to take part in an activity then I pay and then put it through the books as there's always the danger that parents could refuse to pay if they didn't specifically ask for a child to do an activity.We're all different though x

ReetPetit Sat 19-Jan-13 17:04:01

surprised you arranged an activity for the child without talking to the parents first - does the child have special needs?
i wouldn't pay for a twice weekly activity that I was taking my mindees to for the benefit of only one child (if it was an extra cost than say a toddler group) but at the same time, I would expect parents to pay for something and/or my travel costs for something they didn't have a say in me booking!!

ReetPetit Sat 19-Jan-13 17:40:39

sorry,that should say wouldn't expect....

ZooAnimals Sat 19-Jan-13 21:11:46

'parents to pay for something and/or my travel costs for something they didn't have a say in me booking!!'

They do have a say in whether or not the child goes. The OP has said that twice. It's a provisional booking and can be cancelled!

InNeatCognac Sun 20-Jan-13 09:24:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

InNeatCognac Sun 20-Jan-13 09:24:54

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now