This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

nanny hours, is this realistic

(9 Posts)
traintracks Wed 23-Jan-13 04:01:59

Thank you, that's helpful

BusyBee86 Sat 19-Jan-13 14:11:26

I have a nannying job just like this and I take my own child. So ye I think you will find someone that is willing do to these hours. More likely a nanny that can bring own child.

GuffalosMum Fri 18-Jan-13 23:50:35

In London, the childcare market is going strong and finding a nanny to do these hours will be hard. We don't even need mornings and pay more than usual hourly rate, yet we have had quite a turnover. They either leave when a job with more hrs comes along.
Nursery staff can be good if your child's nursery is morning only; however they also have a high turnover.

ZooAnimals Fri 18-Jan-13 21:40:10

You could use a childminder close to your DD's school. Is your Ds's nursery close to the school? Or could DS go to the childminder all day? Is he at pre-school nursery or day nursery?

Does the school have a breakfast/afterschool club?

You'd have more chance of finding someone for afternoons only, but even then I think you're looking at a student or older person who wants a bit of extra cash rather than a nanny. Problem then is they might not want to do full-time hours during the holidays. Are you close to a univerity or college? If there is one that does childcare that could be a god place to start looking.

Does the school have a holiday club?

traintracks Fri 18-Jan-13 15:39:56

Thanks for the answers. My daughter is likely to be at a school some distance from home so I assumed a childminder would be out as don't they always have more than one person's children?

Would I be better looking for just after school and getting someone else to do mornings. What about the principle of more work during holidays than term time, is that common?

Karoleann Fri 18-Jan-13 10:17:23

You will struggle to find someone who will drop off and pick up. After school only nannies are easier to find especially in london, although they do tend leave when they get more hours.
One friend (who went through 6 after school nannies in 3 months), ended up using one of the nursery nurses from her son's preschool and hasn't looked back.
Will your son be over 3 in september, could be just go to a free preschool for -2-3 hours in the morning and you have a full time nanny instead?

ZooAnimals Fri 18-Jan-13 00:28:05

They are very unattractive hours, but the job market is very slow so you may get someone desperate for any work. Problem with that is they're likely to leave when something better comes along.

It may suit a nanny with their own child or a family looking for a nanny share. Otherwise you might be better looking for a student. A childminder would do school drop off/pick up and holidays, is that an option? Or an au pair if you have room?

traintracks Thu 17-Jan-13 23:47:58

Sorry forgot to say this is only two days a week.

traintracks Thu 17-Jan-13 23:26:51

In September my daughter will be going to school. Younger son is at nursery. Ideally I would like to find a nanny who will take them and pick up, give tea etc but not need to be paid all day during term time, but work full days during school holidays.

Is this realistic? I know one friend who has this arrangement and pays a flat amount averaged out over the year. Any thoughts about how likely I am to find someone. I am in N London and they need to drive.

Thanks in advance for any advice as I'm new to all of this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now