This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Temp live in nanny - what does she do in evenings?

(16 Posts)
lucywiltshire Fri 18-Jan-13 19:30:22

Thanks everyone. Really interesting to hear from actual live in nannies. So it sounds like no temp live-in nanny expects to be treated like a guest then! Would still feel bad if she shut herself in her room but I guess actually she would be happier doing that than sitting watching tv with hubby and me!

MNPin2013 Thu 17-Jan-13 23:43:59

Not at all Lucy I FaceTime or Skype friends and hubby and I speak several times an evening via FaceTime. It isn't as tho it is forever.

Blondeshavemorefun Thu 17-Jan-13 13:09:18

i have done a live in temp job and i generally made my tea then went to my room, make sure there is a tv/dvd player in there for your nanny

somenights i stayed in, other times i drove halfway to meet other nannies i know, or went to the gym/swimming etc

its only a month so sure she will be fine

mrs washy - thats gonna be hard, assume baby will be in either with parents or older child when you arent there- good luck - but hopefully parents will go to bed at maybe 8.30/9 and catch up on sleep while you are there so you will get the living room by yourself - or they may go up to their bedroom and watch tv

and yes fuckadoddle, lots of us doing proxy parenting on here basically 24hr care while parents are away for work/holidays/adult time etc

iluvkids Thu 17-Jan-13 11:14:17

fuckadoodlepoopoo -have pm'd you smile

fuckadoodlepoopoo Thu 17-Jan-13 11:08:44

Really?! I had no idea! How do the live in parents thing work?

iluvkids Thu 17-Jan-13 10:57:21

fuckadoodlepoopoo - if your considering a temp live in, don't forget there are also live in proxy parents - providing 24 hr care - should you want a weekend (or week) away without your children.

iluvkids Thu 17-Jan-13 10:55:41

charges vary on hours/location...and duration of placement/role

anything from 350net a week - 450 net for live in, full time

fuckadoodlepoopoo Thu 17-Jan-13 10:53:59

I didn't know you could get temp live in nannies! How much do you guys charge?

iluvkids Thu 17-Jan-13 10:50:01

I regularly take on temp live in nanny posts

Evenings wise - I normally enjoy my own time - be it, in my room - online, listening to music (with headphones), or go for a long walk or meet other nannies for drinks n a natter / bar snack

mrswishywashy Thu 17-Jan-13 08:03:49

I'm also a MN and spend the evening in room or away from family, gives me time out as well. If she is cooking for the children she could eat with them. Make her feel welcome enough to make a cup of tea after work but if she's done this work before she won't expect you to entertain her.

Today I start a new position and there is actually no spare room, baby and I will be in living room and there's no extra room for space. I will have to work out a system to get some or it will be a very long four weeks.

PrettyPirate Thu 17-Jan-13 00:08:25

I was live-in nanny for a short while and I always had dinner with family at around 5.30-6 and then I disappeared to my room. Didn't make any friends as it was very small village. I love reading, I read loads of books in that timesmile. Also I love going to the cinema on my own, so I did that quite a lot, closest town was 20 min drive away. It really depends what kind of person she is, she might be happy with some quiet time in the evenings. But make sure you talk about it first before she starts.

lucywiltshire Wed 16-Jan-13 23:45:27

wow MNP you must get so down don't you? Being stuck in a bedroom all evening? Huge respect to you for doing such a tough job, it's hard enough being the mum so being the nanny must be a million times worse!

MNPin2013 Wed 16-Jan-13 23:28:40

Ask her before you reconsider.

I am a maternity nanny and so move around a lot, am most often sharing room with baby and I eat, have a bath, go on the web, mn or crochet in the evenings sitting on my bed with extra pillows. I am on duty 24hrs a day so don't have a choice.

lucywiltshire Wed 16-Jan-13 23:05:53

Thanks MNP. I would feel guilty her being stuck in her room as not the biggest, no space for a comfy chair really. She doesn't know anyone locally and as she would only be with us for approx one month she wouldn't have the chance to make friends really. We live on edge of very small town with nothing much on offer apart from small leisure centre so not sure how she would fill her evenings. Think maybe we should reconsider and find someone who lives locally!

MNPin2013 Wed 16-Jan-13 23:01:43

She may make herself a meal or spend time in her room, make it clear the evenings are family time and she is free to go out, meet friends etc.

lucywiltshire Wed 16-Jan-13 22:52:31

We are considering getting a temporary nanny for when baby number 3 arrives in late Feb, to help with DD and DS. An agency has found us one who would work 7 till 7 but what does she do in the evenings? Would we cook for her and spend the evening with her? When I have just had a baby I don't want to have the worry of looking after a house guest do I? Hubby can't take paternity leave so evenings will be very special family time and house isn't big enough for nanny to do her own thing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now