Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Help Advice needed Kind Advice !!!

(9 Posts)
orchidee Wed 16-Jan-13 20:15:42

Don't be hard on yourself, if there's been a misunderstanding it's come from good intentions and with an ill child yourself you were likely distracted. Hopefully clear communications from now and everyone will be happy.

How's your daughter?

1996timeforchange Wed 16-Jan-13 18:23:33

Thank's all yes i realize my mistake, i've just txt Mom to say that i will be as flexible as possible tomorrow and let her know tomorrow mid morning if i have a problem with collecting, i do hate letting people down as i know it's tricky to get cover at late notice sad

Yes you must be clear. Don't say could you, I would like you to, it would help me if you could X/Y/Z

You need to say I cannot, I am unavailable. Then leave it to parents to solve.

This sounds harsh, I know, but one must be clear and if necessary assertive.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Wed 16-Jan-13 18:00:49

I agree with the others you should have said sorry I can't pick up tomorrow my dc is ill or you are making it look like you can do it.

FestiveWench Wed 16-Jan-13 17:53:01

In this situation my CM would just tell me that she was unavailabke and it would be up to me to find a plan B.

Your mistake was in asking them IF they could do this. I'm my CM asked me that then I would assume that it would be ok for her to do it is I could not.

1996timeforchange Wed 16-Jan-13 17:43:26

i did explain i had no cover to dad!! I'll maybe call Mom!! and say if my child feel's ok then maybe i could, but i may have to let her down at last minute!!!

orchidee Wed 16-Jan-13 17:43:06

Argh. That should read:
It sounds like they think it's the former.

Maybe your daughter will be okay for the (car?) journey but not for a day at school. If however she's contagious and effectively in quarantine, that's of course different.

Good luck.

orchidee Wed 16-Jan-13 17:39:28

I think you need to be clear to this family whether you are asking if they can manage without you, or if you're telling them that you'll be unavailable. It sounds like they think tit'sshe former.

1996timeforchange Wed 16-Jan-13 17:35:28

Could anyone give me nice helpful advice please, My child has been sent home today and tomorrow i'm supposed to do the school collection for 1 child of a family whom i have been a child care provider for for the last 9.5 years, in that time we have worked together well, always getting on, however upon collection today, i asked Dad if there was any possible chance someone else could do their collection tomorrow as i didn't want to take my sick child out and i had no-one to care for her, today i was able to do the school run as my elder child was at home to care for her.. I have maybe had 2 days off sick in these 9 years and always helped out when stuck.. Mom has just txt me to say she's got the message and she cant collect cause she's in a meeting and neither can Dad!!! And she has no-one else to help ( the child goes to another provider 3 days a week after school!!)

What do i do???

HELP!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now