Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Childminder - what to ask

(5 Posts)
NickNacks Wed 16-Jan-13 19:30:22

I would have people ask the vital stuff like do I have a vacancy, where exactly I live and sometimes the price if that's a deal breaker. You might have other deal breakers such as pets, certain school pick ups, meat free household etc.

stargirl1701 Wed 16-Jan-13 19:22:50

That's a fab list. I go back to work in November this year but I know I have to book well in advance. I'm going to start ringing round the contacts tomorrow. Do you normally ask lots on the phone or make an appointment to discuss the points outlined above?

doughnut44 Wed 16-Jan-13 19:11:27

All of the above and whatever is important to you. When I was looking for a childminder I wanted one that:

took them out to the park, playgroup, activities.
mixed with other childminders in order that my child had a good social life
didn't have the tv on too much
did day to day jobs (but not too much - ie cooking, tidying up, occasional shopping etc)
Was compassionate and not too routine
Not be too worried about ticking boxes as long as my childs needs were met
In other words - took the place of a mum while mum wasn't there

I couldn't find one so I became one!

Obviously every one parents differently so everyone will want different things out of their childminder

NickNacks Wed 16-Jan-13 18:31:45

Are you returning to work immediately? If not call them all not just those with immediate vacancies.

Depending how old DC is....

Do you have the times and days I need available?
How much do you charge?
What activities do you do? Extra cost?
Meals? Extra cost?
what other children do you look after?
Where will my child sleep?
Holidays -do you charge and how many?
Sickness? Do you charge?
My hols and sickness do you charge?
Bank hols?
References?
Crb/first aid/registration certificates?
Ofsted report?

stargirl1701 Wed 16-Jan-13 16:24:13

I'm trying to organise childcare for my LO when I return to work. I have gathered details from the council of childminders in my area who have vacancies.

So, what do I need to ask? What do I want to know?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now