Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

How to contact childminders. And what time of day?!

(13 Posts)
NotDoris Tue 15-Jan-13 10:59:59

I like emails so I can think whether the family/child would fit in well with regards to schools, ages, my ratios etc. I don't mind phone calls at any time, as long as the caller leaves a message so I can ring back! I often leave the phone to take a message anyway, I'm usually in the middle of something messy- painting, preparing meals, changing nappies etc!

MrAnchovy Tue 15-Jan-13 01:29:36

I remember with my first child I just used the childrens information services website (or something similar to that) to get all the details and contact information for childminders.

There is an appalling story of wasted taxpayers money and profiteering by private contractors behind this, but now is not the time to go into that.

The key point now is that your Local Authority is still obliged to keep a list of registered childminders; they don't have to put it online although some do, but they do have to have contact details for their Family Information Service on line.

If you live near to the border with one or more other local authorities you will need to go to each of them.

doughnut44 Mon 14-Jan-13 22:35:22

I prefer evening/weekend calls as I am busy with the little ones in the day - I don't mind neglecting my own kids but I won't neglect the minded ones - lol

TheDetective Mon 14-Jan-13 22:24:58

Thank you!

I'm in Wigan reet smile

ReetPetit Mon 14-Jan-13 19:20:42

your fis should still have a list online. whereabouts (roughly) are you?

on childcare.uk, it is definately worth paying to send messages, i have had success with it. or if you add people as favourites, they may then send you a message - although some cms won't pay the subscription unless they are actively seeking work.

the best thing for me is an email to be honest - or second best a text - then I can decide when to answer at a good time. or failing that, i would go for after lunch, so around 2pm as a lot of cms are out in the morning and then doing school runs at around 3pm.

I don't mind evening calls - if I can't speak to someone I just say I will call them back.

Good Luck smile

FromGirders Mon 14-Jan-13 19:17:57

If you're in Scotland, then scottishchildcare .gov.UK has a full list, and is searchable by area.

FromGirders Mon 14-Jan-13 19:17:05

If you're in Scotland, then scottishchildcare .gov.UK has a full list, and is searchable by area.

badtemperedaldbitch Mon 14-Jan-13 19:16:48

Some people's that then use yellow pages to find me locally. I wouldn't ring after 7,but ask them if they can speak or are they busy since you can call them back at a more convenient time

Twinklestarstwinklestars Mon 14-Jan-13 19:16:07

Our local families information service doesn't have a website you have to ring for a list.

You might find you get some responses from childcare.co.uk if you view some profiles as childminders may be paying members.

NickNacks Mon 14-Jan-13 19:14:58

The fis does still exist but you might find it under directgov or call you boroughs early years dept.

The best time for me would be between 1pm-3pm. Babies nap generally or are quiet. Tbh though it's different for all so you might as well make it convenient for you and prefix the conversation with -is now a good time to talk to you about vacancies? Be prepared to call back or leave a message. smile

TheDetective Mon 14-Jan-13 19:14:30

Thank you! Had hoped they would! Hopefully they can email them, as I want to contact and visit this week as my partner is off work so we can go together!

Fingers crossed!

Should have been more organised. grin

redwellybluewelly Mon 14-Jan-13 19:13:23

Our county council holds a list of all registered childminders/nurseries etc

TheDetective Mon 14-Jan-13 19:07:18

Just looking for some basic advice!

I remember with my first child I just used the childrens information services website (or something similar to that) to get all the details and contact information for childminders. Now that does not exist. I have found childcare.co.uk, and have found some childminders I wish to contact. No problem, sign up for free! So I do. It now has all my personal details (including my DOB and address!!) but wants £19.99 to allow me to send a message or see any details of the childminders!

WTF?! Needless to say I am not impressed.

Erm, so how do I get this information for free. Surely it must be possible! Will ring the local council tomorrow, they have lists still, don't they? hmm

How else can I find childminders these days? It was so simple 5 years ago!

Also - for any childminders, what time of day is best to contact you? I don't want to ring when they are busy with their mindees, but neither do I want to wait til 7pm to ring and cut in to family time. Same for weekend. Trying to be considerate!

Thanks in advance!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now