Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

WWYD?

(6 Posts)
DIYapprentice Tue 15-Jan-13 14:22:39

Well that's not very nice of her!!! Times like this I can understand why my former and current CM and I had/have such a good working relationship. We BOTH went/go out of our ways to make sure we are very fair and accommodating.

Twinklestarstwinklestars Tue 15-Jan-13 06:08:23

It wasn't a firm 3 months though she will go earlier if she gets a house first, as I discovered when I saw a Facebook chat to a friend saying she hoped to go after a month. Our area is so quiet lately I couldn't afford to turn down longer term work if it was available. This mum has other options such as breakfast club at school so I wouldn't leave her without childcare.

DIYapprentice Mon 14-Jan-13 21:02:54

Twinkle - and that is why some parents don't give anything bar the minimum notice! I think giving you a firm 3 months was generous, and if it had happened to me I would be very unimpressed. (Assuming you had a good working relationship - if you didn't that would change things.)

However, if they kept you dangling with an 'unknown' notice period like in Justanotherday's case, then yes, give them notice if something else came along.

minderjinx Mon 14-Jan-13 19:28:07

Before Christmas a family told me they were looking to move away probably about Easter time (so I didn't advertise and in fact told people I was full) and the next I heard was that Mum had quit work to prepare for the move, took the baby out without any notice at all - no job, no childcare needed - and then said they couldn't afford to pay me notice as they would need every penny for moving. So I'd have to agree with Twinkle that in Justanotherday's situation I would put my own family first and give the pregnant/moving family notice if somebody more long term came along. I would probably warn the first family that I might have to do this, as I am still working on developing a ruthless streak!

Twinklestarstwinklestars Mon 14-Jan-13 18:58:13

I would give them 4 weeks notice so I could take the new one on.

I had one give me 3 months notice a month ago but if I get one that will want the place long term will give them notice as it makes more business sense for me.

Justanotherday Mon 14-Jan-13 18:52:18

I have a situation and just wanted to ask your advice. Mum is pregnant and said she will need me for the next six months before taking her child out, but then has come back and said they want to move and if it goes quickly, will be leaving me earlier. Obviously she will give me the minimum 4 weeks notice at the least but hopifully more. If I had a new parent come and want to start before they give me the notice, would you give them notice or ask the new parent to wait until the original six month is over. Thank you in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now