Note: Please bear in mind that this is a discussion board, not a place to advertise childcare vacancies or recruit childminders/nannies etc. We don't mind the odd mumsnet regular mentioning that they're looking for a job/mindee (although you're probably better off in MN Local) but repeated job "ads" and posts from nanny/babysitting agencies aren't fair to people who are paying for small business ads. Do feel free to report any you see. Thanks, MNHQ.

Need an hour per week in Darlington - help!

(20 Posts)
VikingLady Mon 14-Jan-13 21:46:33

Do you know, just, I think I may love you! PMing you.

Indith Mon 14-Jan-13 16:33:05

Fingers crossed! Have messaged her on FB just in case she hasn't seen this thread.

What day do you need the child care? I live in Darlington and am CRB checked as I work in a nursery in the west end. Pm me if you want. One of the girls at work may be interested if its near where they live

VikingLady Mon 14-Jan-13 15:33:48

I've ttried fb today - thanks! I posted an ad on NM but have had no responses. I don't know anyone with a nanny either - most parents I know get help from GPs.

How would I find a student? That probably sounds really dumb, sorry!

Indith Mon 14-Jan-13 14:22:44

Have you tried asking on Mums in Durham on FB?

ok so do you know anyone with a nanny who would willing let you leave little one there for an hr a day am assuming there is some over lap between time you go out and partner comes home hence need for only an hr once a week?

Get an advert on www.netmums.co.uk and gumtree and also search on there.

Try nursing students as well maybe find a couple who could do it between them as they dont have as much free time as normal students due to placements but once a week sure one or two of them could work it out between them - look for child branch students or maybe a mature student with own children.

Perhaps have an advert saying person with own children welcome to attract people.

I know you only need an hr but thats where you may be struggling and you will pay a premium for it as many people will charge a min of 3hrs so why not have someone come in and do 4.30-7.30 and they can play with little one and help with bedtime whilst you get on with something else.

You will prob pay £15 for one hr anyway as people wont want to do it for less so someone coming in for 3hrs maybe would cost £20 and seems more feasable.

VikingLady Mon 14-Jan-13 09:24:05

NM no-one interested. Sitters - no go. I think I'm going to have to hand her over to a stranger in the street! I really have no idea what to ty next - 3 days left!

juneybean Fri 11-Jan-13 17:51:02

Ask on <whispers> netmums, they have a dedicated childcare bit in order to post adverts (free ones)

Indith Fri 11-Jan-13 12:17:23

If I lived closer I'd do it for free, tis hardly any time at all.

VikingLady Fri 11-Jan-13 08:54:00

I'll call the college today! I don't know anyone with teenagers, no - I only really know new mums, and they find the idea of two babies at once too daunting!

I'll have a look at Sitters.co.uk. I tried a childcare site but they want money off me (quite a lot!) before I can message anyone!

Startail Thu 10-Jan-13 15:15:59

Local teaching collage.

The students are older and more likely to have cars.

An hours babysitting on their way home?

Jakadaal Thu 10-Jan-13 14:57:01

D'ton college used to run a course in childcare and my DSis used some of the students - may be worth asking at the college.

Indith Wed 09-Jan-13 11:18:53

Definitely call childminders. You could also try an agency type, I know people who use Sitters.co.uk, a lot of the people on those sorts of things are nursery staff who want a bit of extra cash and you can build up a relationship with someone and use the same person each time.

Because you only need an hour it is more like babysitting. Do you know anyone with teenagers?

VikingLady Wed 09-Jan-13 11:10:13

I don't know anyone who could help. I called the council lady back and basically lied about how much time I wanted to get the list - she wasn't going to give it me otherwise! I am calling them tonight. Thank you.

ReetPetit Tue 08-Jan-13 14:02:43

try childcare.co.uk. good luck! smile

ReetPetit Tue 08-Jan-13 14:00:57

how old is the child? your best bet might be to find someone who would be willing to do an extra hour after work. do you have any local friends with nannies? or maybe a friend would do it for you? you don't have to use a registered cm for only one hour.
You will probably find you will have to pay over the odds for one hour a week though,sorry to say otherwise it's not worth people's while, it may depend on which part of the country you are in though...

Twinklestarstwinklestars Tue 08-Jan-13 11:27:21

Try childminders how do they know what they'll say, I do odd hours for people if it fits with others.

nannynick Tue 08-Jan-13 11:20:55

Teenager to babysit? College student perhaps.
Local ad in newsagents/general store, church magazine, that sort of thing. Could appeal to a local young person.

Goldmandra Tue 08-Jan-13 11:19:54

Forget what the council lady told and and contact some childminders. There may well be some that are happy to help.

VikingLady Tue 08-Jan-13 11:12:57

I have no idea how to find someone for one hour per week. Childminders won't bother, according to the council lady I called, no creches or nurseries are open - it is 5.30-6.30 once each week!

I don't know many people in the area. Am at my wits end.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now