This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Pay question - please help!

(50 Posts)
AforApple Sat 05-Jan-13 09:34:06

I have been asked to look after two children aged 8 and 3 for eight and a half days whilst parents are away. The 8 year old will be at school for six days and I will do half the school runs whilst the 3 year old is at nursery for two mornings, plus a couple of other short classes. I will be living in preparing meals, doing washing and cleaning etc.

I am a 3rd year university student with a pediatric first aid course and have worked for this family before. 2 summers sole charge throughout the day and some nights. Please could you tell me what is reasonable to charge - no nanny qualifications and a student.

Thanks!!

Well a CM would be at least £4ph per dc for all hours needed....that would £1500 for the eight days! Maybe you could charge £5ph from waking to bedtime total and then have an 'overnighter' rate per night (say £40 each night).

Remember you will still need to be avaliable for the elder dc while they are at school incase of ilness etc so charging for your time then too is acceptable.

NotThoughtOfMy2013NNyet Sat 05-Jan-13 09:44:51

I'd agree with 8 an hour and a flat nightly rate too. What are the parent's offering?

AforApple Sat 05-Jan-13 09:48:13

£250 for the whole week. I have never had a problem with pay before but its not worth my while at this rate. Unfortunately I committed before finding out the pay.

lauriedriver Sat 05-Jan-13 09:50:30

£250!! Wow I paid almost as much as that for my dog to be babysat for a fortnight

shock £250 for eight days straight at 24 hrs a day - the bloody cheek!!!

You should be getting £250 just for the night duty

AforApple Sat 05-Jan-13 10:01:14

Not really sure how to handle it now, as I can't back out with such short notice.

When did they ask/you accept and when did they inform you of the rate? When are they going away?

NotThoughtOfMy2013NNyet Sat 05-Jan-13 10:03:00

That is not good enough. £1.30 an hour? Get stuffed.

AforApple Sat 05-Jan-13 10:06:32

Asked/accepted: beginning of December. Was informed yesterday of the rate, left them to decide as before they have always been reasonable. Just didn't think it would be a problem.

AforApple Sat 05-Jan-13 10:09:59

and they are going away in two weeks time.

forevergreek Sat 05-Jan-13 10:13:02

I change £200 per 24hrs. But experienced nanny. I would still expect £100 per 24hrs in your case.

ReetPetit Sat 05-Jan-13 10:20:27

omg op, please don't do this! they are taking advantage of your good nature - they know you won't say anything which is why they have only just told you the rate!!

Being a bit of a wuss, personally I would email them, and apologise but say you won't be able to do it, you had expected to be paid more 24 hour care for such a long period. In your situation, I would be expecting at least £850 (I wouldn't do this for less than £1000 but my situation is different to yours)
You don't have to tell them how much you were expecting, but spell out to them, what the hourly rate is they are offering you and explain that you can not work for that amount. If they then ask you how much, tell them a rate, whatever you think is reasonable - they will accept it - they are just being cheeky cos they know they can be.

Good Luck smile (and don't worry about upsetting them - they are no loss to you if they think so little of you AND their children...)

pinkyp Sat 05-Jan-13 10:20:59

Tell them it's alot less than you were expecting and will leave you out of pocket and cannot do it for little pay, if they are not willing to budge then wish then luck finding someone else's

If theyve only told you yesterday about rates then you should be able to go back to them and discuss.it today or tomorrow.

Id want to.know that 1- there would be food in for the kids or be given grocery money 2- that the rate they have stated is what you had in mind for just the.overnighters could they look at iy again (or say innocently "so is that per child?'). 3- will you have use of their car for ferrying dcs with separare fuel.allowance? 4- will there be a little kitty for
Activities etc

That pay is reasonable for a weekender, not an eight dy stint.

AforApple Sat 05-Jan-13 10:27:47

I have access to their card to pay for food, fuel and activities and the fridge will be stocked up before they go. I also have use of their car.

mellowcat Sat 05-Jan-13 10:32:40

They are being cheeky, I'm sure they wouldn't do it for so little.

ReetPetit Sat 05-Jan-13 10:32:41

It's still not enough AforApple - how rude to offer someone £1.30 an hour! shock

did they email you the rate? i would reply with something like 'and for the days?' make them feel a bit silly....

NotThoughtOfMy2013NNyet Sat 05-Jan-13 10:38:02

I would put together an email, stating your usual hourly rate and what 8x24 hours would total. I would then state 'you have offered £250 which is a shortfall of xxx. I absolutely do not want to let you down but we need to reach an agreement that works for both of us. I would accept xx making sure that's £100 more than you would really accept so you can still negotiate further What do you think?'

They will not find childcare for what they are offering. Madness and actually, the fact that you are close to the deadline works in your favour, not theirs. You have no need to be demanding or rude, you do need to stand up for yourself a little though.

AforApple Sat 05-Jan-13 10:39:47

No I went over to see them so was told face to face, didn't really know how to react at the time - it's an awkward situation because they are friends of the family. But was definitely expecting a lot more. Thank you so much for all your replies, I will try and sort it out.

Runoutofideas Sat 05-Jan-13 10:41:16

How much have they paid you previously for a day and a night's care? Presuming you were happy with that, then multiply that figure by 8 and that is what they should be paying you....

ReetPetit Sat 05-Jan-13 10:44:06

i would just say in that case, you have been thinking it over, and you are not sure if you have misunderstood - is £250 for the nights? What will they be paying for the daytimes? just turn it round on them and make them realise how ridiculous and insulting they are being. Good Luck.

AforApple Sat 05-Jan-13 10:47:48

£7 p/hour previously - when I was younger and not always sole charge plus £5 p/hour overnight - nothing after midnight. When they said £250 yesterday I did mention that they had previously paid £7 p/hour, as in this would be a lot less than what I used to earn.

So tell them £7 ph from 7am-7pm and £40 each overnighter.

They are falling way way short.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now