This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

Can this possibly work?

(8 Posts)
BoyMeetsWorld Fri 04-Jan-13 22:52:32

Having a major panic. DS starts school in Sept & DM who was meant to be moving up here to help with wrap around childcare has changed her mind.

Now DS's first choice of school is down as 15 mins by car in opposite direction to DH & I's works. The catchment area school here is too appalling to even contemplate & even if we could find anything in the right direction it would be no use as our jobs are inflexible so need to be in by 9 and not out until 5.00. To top it all, I don't drive: DH drops me off & I get the bus back (I have tried & failed many many times).

So I guess we need a nanny? Childminder? For picking up at 8 & taking to school for 9, nothing during the day then picking up again at 3.15 & keeping until 6pm. Plus full day care on weekdays through school holidays. Does this kind of care exist & what does it cost?

I'd been looking forward to paying less than the 4 years of nursery do far but that's not looking likely. I'm also terrified of being reliant on 1 person in case they are sick / unreliable. Really wondering if I'll have to quit work hmm

sausagesandwich34 Fri 04-Jan-13 22:55:47

childminder sounds like your best bet but you would need to drop off in the morning, they won't collect

no point sorting anything until you have school offers

do any of the schools have wrap around care -in my area they have a childcare club at school from 7.30am -6pm

fraktion Fri 04-Jan-13 22:59:34

Au pair? Do you have space at home?

calmlychaotic Fri 04-Jan-13 23:07:03

you could make some enquiries on childcare.co.uk to see if anyone local can help. in my area before and after school is about 5 per hour. some childminders will pick up from your house, no harm in asking. I have my school age children full time in the holidays. most childminders will have back up if they are off or sick.

BoyMeetsWorld Sat 05-Jan-13 09:26:39

Just trying childcare.co.uk seems good but you can't contact anyone / they contact you without upgrading an you so guess best to wait until school offers are in then upgrade?

fraktion Sat 05-Jan-13 14:07:35

Most websites make you pay, but tbh you won't be able to sort anything until offers are in anyway. It's very early to be looking for September.

MaryPoppinsBag Sat 05-Jan-13 19:02:35

Does the school have breakfast/ after school club?

Try you local authority Families information service for childminder names.

Have you googled Childminder and the area of the school for websites?

calmlychaotic Sat 05-Jan-13 21:55:22

a lot of childminders pay the subscrition and look through on a regular basis so if you create a profile clearly detailing your needs someone may well contact you and you wont need to pay, however as others have said until your school is confirmed not a lot you can do

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now