This topic is for discussing childcare options. If you want to advertise, please use your Local site.

husband covering my maternity leave, childminder.

(3 Posts)
bbes Fri 04-Jan-13 20:40:52

hello, i am new to chat rooms but i really need help! i am a childminder and i am currently pregnant with my 4th child, as i have never earnt over the threshold for NI i don't think i will be entitled to maternity leave. my husband was made redundant in october and has had no luck finding another job. i was wondering if there is a way he could childmind while i'm in hospital and hopefully while i recover with a new baby??

my work situation is pretty pitiful; i only have 2 children on my books and one of those i only care for on and off in 1 month blocks when the parents require it. the other is only 2 days a week but the mum is very picky about payment and i think she would just find someone else if i let her down, i'm hoping she won't go elsewhere anyway when i tell her i'm pregnant.

i can't afford to hire my husband as an assistant as i don't even earn the minimum wage i would be required to pay an assistant and i really can't stop working as this is our only, very pathetic!, family income. i also just had my first ofsted inspection and the lady was so positive, i was rated 'good' but she said i have alot of potential - i'd feel like i'm giving up!

my husband used to work with children and still does party entertaining on and off, he has a level 2 nvq in early years education and childcare and is crb checked, i know he'll need to do the paedeatric first aid but i don't know what else or if he could look after the children without me present?

any advice would be very much appreceated, thankyou

apotomak Fri 04-Jan-13 20:46:16

Why doesn't he register as a childminder himself? It took my husband 3 months from start to finish. I wasn't that busy when I was childminding on my own but now we're bursting while other childminders are quiet. It's the best thing he's done work-wise so far.

HSMM Fri 04-Jan-13 21:01:41

Hire him as an assistant and he can volunteer? My DH got his childminder registration through before he was approved as an assistant though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now